    came out before either Service Pack 1 or 2 and they does not require
    activation either. Hence just about everyone here has made a copy to take
    home with them.

    Mothra, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Gary MCSE

    Mothra Guest

    From purely moral standpoint, you are correct, although if you built these
    computers yourself, you could possibly argue that you are the original
    equipment manufacturer and are therefore at least entitled to multiple
    copies of the OEM version. Whether or not you'd win that argument, I'm not
    so sure!

    Mothra, Jul 18, 2005

  3. SP-1 or 2 has nothing to do with it.
    Activation was here with the beginning of Windows XP.
    It sounds like your work has Volume License and is violating their agreement
    with Microsoft.
    It also seems possible someone in your IT department is ignorant or simply
    has no integrity since they are distributing against the agreement.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jul 18, 2005
  4. Gary MCSE

    Mothra Guest

    Had a look in there - lot's of stuff going on relating to MS Out Of Box
    Experience but, as I've already said, I have never been prompted to
    activate. If you could tell me what to look for more specifically, I'll
    post up the results.

    Mothra, Jul 18, 2005
  5. Gary MCSE

    Mothra Guest

    It's a bit of a grey area actually. I've been told that my company has a
    VLA that allows employees to run one copy at home legally; however, after
    failing to get a product code to support this, i became a little dubious and
    decided to purchase the OEM version instead. I was then surprised not to be
    prompted to activate after installing it (on any of my home PCs or laptops)
    which lead to my post.

    Mothra, Jul 18, 2005