    Rinse, lather, repeat.

    As for my involvement, this thread is now killfiled and I'm off to see
    if there is any worthwhile XP x64 info in the other threads.

    Jed, Jul 2, 2005

  2. Another very good question. AFAIK, MSFT has not prosecuted any of them, they
    may refuse to deal with that seller in the future but that's about all.

    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 2, 2005

  3. For all we know, those satisfied customers could be made up or part of his
    circle. Don't trust every testimonial you read, its just like the
    infomercials on TV.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 2, 2005
  4. Bruce;
    It may not be necessary to teach how to tell an obvious fake.
    Some things come quickly and easily with experience and many items may not
    be specifically tested or taught because experience would be a much quicker
    and effective teacher.
    They can not possibly test everything.
    As you probably know, many IT certifications in and out of Microsoft, assume
    a degree of experience.
    But in fact often no experience is necessary, passing the test is all that
    is required, nothing more.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jul 3, 2005
  5. I'd certainly have thought not, but it doesn't appear to be that way. ;-}
    I know that they generally make this claim, certainly. But sometimes
    I'm not so sure about it. I've read an awful lot of sample questions
    that made me wonder if the test writers had ever worked in the real world.
    Sad, but true.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Gary MCSE

    Gary MCSE Guest

    Check this out.
    Even after I sent report to , he continues to offer this
    stuff for sale.
    I even sent overstock an email telling of his illegal activity and included
    a response that I got from the piracy team requesting information on this
    seller.

    Overstock Auctions Item 5474048 Windows XP Professional C

    Well, I'll grant that it might not have been thought necessary to teach
    something so obvious, but I dread the though of such a course not offering
    at least a rudimentary introduction to software licensing. Makes the MCSE
    rather worthless as a measure of competence to anyone hiring someone to
    provide proper support for a business or other large institution (or home
    users, for that matter, come to think of it - they need good advice, too

    Gary MCSE, Jul 3, 2005
  7. Gary MCSE

    Guest Guest

    Sorry to jump in a couple weeks after the thread seems to have died but this
    raises a question.

    What is the best approach for a "home user" with a lot of PCs who wants to
    get all of them to XP? eg: I have 2 Win98 PCs, 2 Win2k PCs and already have 2
    WinXP PCs. If I want to bring them all to WinXP is the best approach simply
    buying 4 more licenses? Probably 2 upgrades (win2k boxes) and 2 full versions
    (Win98 boxes) I'm guessing?

    Thanks in advance.

    Ken

    Guest, Jul 15, 2005
  8. Gary MCSE

    Mothra Guest

    Simply buy one copy of the latest OEM version that has Service Pack 2
    included (normally around £85) and install it on any computer you want. The
    latest version of XP does not require product activation and you will be
    able to verify your downloads on Microsoft's download site on each PC in
    your house too.

    Mothra, Jul 15, 2005
  9. Gary MCSE

    Rick Guest

    There are no legal OEM editions of XP that do not require product
    activation.

    If you have one, it is a black market, doctored, version!

    Rick, Jul 15, 2005
  10. Gary MCSE

    Mothra Guest

    Then how was I able to verify the COA on the Microsoft website and get an
    upgrade to Windows XP x64? And how have I been able to verify it on
    Microsoft's download centre?

    The version I have is pictured on Microsoft's website - it is the
    copper-coloured cd label with the wavy edge - the generic (i.e. not
    manufacturer specific) OEM version. But it does not require activation like
    the original Windows XP discs do.

    Mothra, Jul 15, 2005
  11. Gary MCSE

    Mothra Guest

    Mothra, Jul 15, 2005
  12. You have either misunderstood or been mislead.
    Legitimate OEM versions such as on the site you referenced require
    activation.
    If yours did not require activation, something is wrong.
    Either something in manufacturing or more likely it is not legitimate
    software.
    Illegitimate software may pass the tests in the short term but in time you
    will most likely have problems with updates if the OS is truly bad.
    The EULA you agreed also only allows installation on a single computer.

    Are you sure you did not activate?
    If the balloon comes up, you can be activated in a few seconds if you click
    and may not otherwise be aware of it.

    I know nothing about the source you used, hopefully you appropriately
    researched them before sending your money.

    You should also probably read the specific EULA you have agreed.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jul 15, 2005
  13. Gary MCSE

    DKI Guest

    Overclockers here in the UK is a very reputable company and i used them
    before as have many people.

    The only thing as you said is he may of activated it and not relised or if
    his is as he said does not need activating then something is wrong indeed as
    since the software has to be activated over the internet or over the phone.

    DKI, Jul 15, 2005
  14. Could it be possible that the Brits are getting a European version? I know
    there are some changes in the EULA but I don't know about activation.

    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 15, 2005
  15. Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jul 16, 2005
  16. Gary MCSE

    DKI Guest

    The EULA might be different and corospond with each country and law but i
    doubt it be a big a difference. But even over here in the UK the OEM and
    Retail Version have to be activated as jupiter said

    Legal Sources i know of for software here in the UK

    PC World
    Dabs.com
    Overclockers.co.uk
    Ebuyer.co.uk
    Watford Electronics (knows as savastore.com online)
    Amazon.co.uk

    (there may be more but i do not know all)

    But if the software is as he clames don't need activating and already
    activated version where hes got it from we don't know.

    DKI, Jul 16, 2005
  17. I brought it up because the rules do differ in some places in Europe, I think
    it's in Spain where OEM copies can be sold with out any hardware so the
    reseller's agreement must be different there. That was covered here some
    time back. I don't know what other changes might be or if there is any place
    where activation isn't required?

    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 16, 2005
  18. Hello,
    So let's ask to look at the setuplog.txt file.
    All activation attempts are logged to this file.
    Also look in the Application Event log for WPA events.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <>
    <O2N4uj$>
    <>
    <#TPS#>
    <>
    <#>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <#>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <#>
    <[email protected]>
    <Subject: Re: Is It Legal?
    <Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:16:45 -0600
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <It may be different, but not without activation.
    <Apparently the source is legitimate so the problem is elsewhere.
    <
    <--
    <Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    <http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    <http://www.dts-l.org
    <
    <
    <<>
    <>> If yours did not require activation, something is wrong.
    <>> Either something in manufacturing or more likely it is not legitimate
    <>> software.
    <>
    <> Could it be possible that the Brits are getting a European version? I
    <> know
    <> there are some changes in the EULA but I don't know about activation.
    <>
    <> --
    <> David R. Norton MVP
    <> <>
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 16, 2005
  19. Gary MCSE

    DKI Guest

    I do remember a MS staff memebr talking about it but can't remeber the
    country that was different rules. It was good to bring it up but since the
    person with the activation issue in question did say he got his copy from
    the UK.

    As since i live here in the UK i do know the UK OEM version does have to be
    purchesed with a piece of hardware as well as activated. As for other
    countries in europe apart from some countrtys i do not know.

    DKI, Jul 16, 2005
  20. Gary MCSE

    Guest Guest

    Buying one copy wouldn't do the job. Well it would if there is no activation
    I suppose, but if I did that I'd have a couple of incorrectly licensed
    versions (ie: illegal versions).

    I would like to legally upgrade all 6 PCs to WinXP. Only two currently have
    licenses for XP. I suppose I could buy 4 OEM versions to bring me up to date
    but that's the point of the question... is it better to buy four upgrades/new
    versions or to buy some sort of bulk license?

    And if a bulk license is a good idea, how does it affect the X64 version?
    Only one of the six PCs is 64bit so I wouldn't want to swap all 6 licenses.

    Ken

    Guest, Jul 18, 2005