    Dan Guest

    If it's open, it is public.

    You front door analogy is flawed. Doors and Computers are not the same.

    Dan, Dec 30, 2008

  2. taylorleesa0

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <8bo6l.5837$> Dan
    Also remember that it's not just a matter of being open, but in
    addition, every properly configured AP is broadcasting it's presence to
    the world.

    In other words, your front door isn't just unlocked, but it has a guy
    standing beside it yelling "door unlocked, come one come all!"

    DevilsPGD, Dec 30, 2008

  3. "properly" being the word of contention here.
    Most would say a "properly" configured AP has WEP or better enabled.
    Only if security isn't enabled.
    MAC filters are easy peasy :)

    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 30, 2008
  4. taylorleesa0

    Pennywise Guest

    It's how law works, you get caught speeding, then thrown into jail for
    having drugs.

    You get stuck in a fast food chimney for the weekend, next thing you
    know your in jail for attempted robbery.

    Pennywise, Dec 30, 2008
  5. taylorleesa0

    DevilsPGD Guest

    I doubt many would say that WEP is properly configured, and those that
    do should be avoided.

    DevilsPGD, Dec 30, 2008
  6. It give the owner of the AP legal clout though. An open AP could be seen
    as an invitation to browse :)
    WEP isn't worth much but its something.

    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 31, 2008
  7. taylorleesa0

    DevilsPGD Guest

    True -- Legally the strength of a security feature isn't important, only
    whether a security feature was engaged or not is relevant.

    I was thinking more on the technical side.

    DevilsPGD, Dec 31, 2008