    long time, the second the car was driving oddly.

    Found one of them
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?threadID=3730

    Pennywise, Dec 27, 2008

  2. taylorleesa0

    richard Guest

    Well that's canada for ya. You probably can't even cough in canada
    without getting busted.

    When some idiot is driving the wrong way on a one way street, yeah
    you're gonna get noticed. Even more so at 5 in the morning. Then, the
    idiot had his pants down and was watching the kiddy porn while the
    officer was talking to him. I think this guy should get a darwin
    award.
    There was no mention of the idiot being busted specifically for
    "wardriving", it only mentioned the laptop was capable. The
    "unaturhoized access" charges were probably tossed in as extra
    charges.

    richard, Dec 27, 2008

  3. taylorleesa0

    Pennywise Guest

    "Drove around using other peoples networks to download and spread
    kiddie porn"

    Nope not a word.

    Pennywise, Dec 27, 2008
  4. taylorleesa0

    Evan Platt Guest

    <BFG>

    Evan Platt, Dec 27, 2008
  5. taylorleesa0

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    Yes, that appears in the news monthly - at least when it's the flavour of
    the month for the press.

    chuckcar, Dec 27, 2008
  6. taylorleesa0

    chuckcar Guest

    That *should* have been a signal strength meter. My mistake. Just how many
    wireless ports do you think a hub has?

    There *really* isn't that many people using their wireless ports and besides, each
    identifies itself. This isn't analogue radio, computers have handshaking and checks.
    Once someone competent has use of the computer hooked to the router and his equipment
    handy, he'll be able to trace the other computer by its attempts to download from/log
    on to the wireless port.

    chuckcar, Dec 27, 2008
  7. taylorleesa0

    M.L. Guest

    That's a bit dishonest. What really brought the attention of the
    police was this:

    "The case began two weeks ago Wednesday, at 5 a.m., when Sgt. Don
    Woods of 11 Division noticed a vehicle driving the wrong way down a
    one-way street in a residential neighbourhood."

    The networking and porn discoveries all came after that.

    M.L., Dec 27, 2008
  8. taylorleesa0

    M.L. Guest

    What does the number of wireless ports have to do with anything? I'm
    questioning the tracking of a piggybacker to his location from the
    wireless source location. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't there be
    a multitude of wireless users out there transmitting and receiving at
    the same frequency?
    It's easy enough to determine that someone is piggybacking on your
    connection. I was questioning the traceability of a piggybacker whose
    laptop is not available to the tracker.

    M.L., Dec 27, 2008
  9. Hmmm...how could I determine if someone is piggybacking on my wireless home
    network?

    Sharp Dressed Man, Dec 27, 2008
  10. Right-- but how do I tell?

    Sharp Dressed Man, Dec 28, 2008
  11. taylorleesa0

    chuckcar Guest

    Not to the same computer and not within range of reception. Microwaves are
    *very* short range. They have trouble going through walls. That's why
    (along with the wavelength) they work for radar.
    It will be transmitting to the router. That signal has to be able to be
    picked up by that same router. You trace it from the house where the
    router is. Line of sight at worst.

    chuckcar, Dec 28, 2008
  12. taylorleesa0

    chuckcar Guest

    Look at the lights. If one is on, that port is in use.

    chuckcar, Dec 28, 2008
  13. taylorleesa0

    Evan Platt Guest

    OMG.. Truly a clueless idiot.

    Evan Platt, Dec 28, 2008
  14. Ahh, you beat me to it. I was going to get the camera and take a photo
    of my router... with the WAN light, the two hard-wired PC lights, and
    the ... um .. the sixty-three wireless lights!!!

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 28, 2008
  15. taylorleesa0

    Evan Platt Guest

    Well, technically there IS a wireless light - however it usually has
    one of two states - one being idle, the other indicating one or more
    connections. So I guess if you don't USE your wireless, sure, just
    keep an eye on it and if it starts blinking, you have a problem.

    Of course, if you don't use your wireless, disable it.

    If you DO use your wireless, chucktards solution is useless.

    Evan Platt, Dec 28, 2008
  16. taylorleesa0

    M.L. Guest

    OK, so that means that the thief is within about 300 ft of the source
    router. That still doesn't explain how to trace them to their car or
    house in a wireless-saturated urban area. And what good does line of
    sight do when the signal emanates in a 360° radius?

    M.L., Dec 28, 2008
  17. taylorleesa0

    Evan Platt Guest

    Chucktards an idiot. Known fact. With a good antenna, you can get well
    beyond 300 feet.

    Especially if your router is near a window.

    "Trouble going through walls"?

    Clear evidence of stupidity.

    Your router works in your house right? You have your router in one
    room, and use your laptop in another, right?

    Feel free to ignore chucktard.

    Evan Platt, Dec 28, 2008
  18. I made a wifi umbrella antenna (usb dongle)and connected to some AP's
    400+ feet away with an average signal strength of 25-30%.

    It was fun :)
    The "pringles can" antennas are a bit more difficult.

    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 28, 2008
  19. taylorleesa0

    chuckcar Guest

    Hardly. You can walk down the street smoking a joint and no cop is going
    to bother you. We have a *far* more permissive society than the US.
    Just do a f*cking google search. They get arrested all the time.

    chuckcar, Dec 28, 2008
  20. taylorleesa0

    chuckcar Guest

    Directonal antennas. Look up Yagi and Parabolic antennas.

    chuckcar, Dec 28, 2008