Is Ignoring Michael (TKIP) a mad/bad idea?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Adrian C, Jun 17, 2010.

  1. Adrian C

    Adrian C Guest

    WPA-TKIP heads on please.

    I'm currently debugging someone else's WPA wireless card driver and
    having some issues with TKIP MIC failures blocking ubuntu traffic to my
    access point. So, in the name of getting the custom build out of the
    door, I've disabled MIC checking and the whole thing 'authenticates'
    nicely. Phew....

    However, the wireless environment that this build is heading for is
    someone's house in the midst of suburbia. Will it be reasonly secure out
    there, I wonder?

    Are the hackers/kiddies really spending much time doing replay attacks
    on WPA networks and have I dumbed down security down to the level of
    WEP, or worse?

    Should I fix, or should it go?

    Adrian C, Jun 17, 2010

  2. Adrian C

    Adrian C Guest

    The source is well commented, syslog is updated and google has plenty of
    commentry about people who have followed the same path. This isn't
    windows, if it's broken you do have the chance to fix it!

    Sure, I'm learning a little about what I'm hacking but diving straight
    into the bones of TKIP and WPA security is beyond me at present.
    But is it dumber that WEP? Won't folks see WPA and move on, or will they
    try an attack just the same....

    OK, think I'm going to have to continue on and fix this.

    Adrian C, Jun 17, 2010

  3. You lazy tosser, it's there for all 2 sea

    Victor Meldrew, Jun 17, 2010
  4. Adrian C

    J G Miller Guest

    Rather than thread continue to degenerate with further bickering which is all
    certain posters appear to come to this newsgroup to do, and for the benefit
    of others reading, here is the story.

    From

    <http://www.scmagazineuk.COM/german-...e-connected-to-their-network/article/170061/>

    QUOTE

    German WiFi owners are now liable for what third party users
    download while connected to their network

    Internet users in Germany can now be fined up to €100 if a
    third party takes advantage of their unprotected WLAN connection
    to illegally download music or other files.

    According to the Associated Press, Germany's top criminal court
    has said that internet users need to secure their private wireless
    connections by password to prevent unauthorised people from using
    their web access to illegally download data.

    However the court stopped short of holding the users responsible
    for the illegal content the third party downloads themselves.

    UNQUOTE

    J G Miller, Jun 17, 2010
  5. Adrian C

    Shadow Guest

    What a contrast !!!
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/12/finland_unsecured_wifi/
    []'s

    Shadow, Jun 17, 2010
  6. Adrian C

    Adrian C Guest

    Hey, I come in peace....

    (shoot to kill)

    There's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow;
    there's Klingons on the starboard bow, scrape 'em off, Jim.

    :)

    Adrian C, Jun 17, 2010
  7. FYI: The Hadron troll is famous for not backing up his statements, or
    offering. any M-ID.

    As Mark South said about the troll:

    $ sudo aptitude install ounce_of_credibility
    aptitude: ounce_of_credibility not found.

    Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    Date: 17 Dec 2007

    Or:-

    You're still an arrogant prick full of himself and your shitty attitude does
    far more harm than good.

    Meat Plow in reply to HardonQuack
    Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008

    William Poaster, Jun 17, 2010
  8. Adrian C

    Wayne Garmil Guest

    *** scans Adrian with a tricorder ***

    It's life, Jim, but not as we know it,
    not as we know it,
    not as we know it.

    It's life, Jim, but not as we know it,
    not as we know it,
    not as we know it, Captain.

    Yes, some of us are dementites here and know our comedy music genre
    quite well.

    Wayne

    Wayne Garmil, Jun 18, 2010
  9. Adrian C

    Wayne Garmil Guest

    Probably requires that you are familiar with the song being quoted,
    Star Trekkin' by The Firm. Each verse is in a different TOS member's
    voice (first verse was Uhura, second verse was Spock).

    Comedy is not 100% universal, I hate stuff with a passion that others
    find funny, much to my befuddlement.

    Wayne

    Wayne Garmil, Jun 21, 2010