    If 720p = 1080i, then shouldn't 1080p = 1620i?

    If so, then I'm sure most people should be able to easily tell the dif
    between 1080i and 1620i.

    Greggy, Jan 8, 2006

  2. Goro

    Alpha Guest

    This is typical Sony misleading hype. Note there current Sony phrase
    "Better than High Definition". They are referencing 1080p, the fact that
    the first HD DVD Toshiba players will have 1080i, but they say nothing at
    all further, nor the fact that HD-DVD can also code 1080p. They are running
    scared...consider the link by Allan, the content of which I find cogent and
    persuasive.

    http://www.betanews.com/article/HD_DVD_Bluray_Has_Problems/1136673259

    Alpha, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Cogent and persuasive? The entire article is based solely on comments
    from an HD-DVD advocate from Toshiba. The bias inherent in that article
    renders it meaningless.

    I'm curious to see which of these technologies will be the more useful.
    It's certainly possible that there will be some issues in the Blu-Ray
    camp, but I sure wouldn't trust a representative from Toshiba to tell me
    about them!

    I still maintain that consumers have no reason to care. Just sit tight
    until the market delivers a machine that can play both.

    Jim Gilliland, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Goro

    Guest Guest

    What you said weren't unreasonable but think about it differently.
    Sony has a lot at stake in Blue Ray and what is a better way to put a
    Blue Ray player in a lot's of kids home - bingo - PS3.

    Now I'm not saying Sony will give away a Blue Ray player for free with
    a $399 PS3, Sony also wants to sell a $1000 Blue Ray player to you and
    me too.

    But I do expect to see some sort of crippled Blue Ray player in the
    plan. Sony is still mum on PS3's player which is unusual for a launch
    this big. Both BR and PS3 carry paramount significance in Sony's plan
    to dominate people's home for the next decade so I don't not believe
    Sony will not use PS3 as a tool to promote Blue Ray.

    My guess is PS3 will play BR but probably only output by component in
    480P. This will be an improvement over SD DVD's 480i picture but not
    quite up to BR's 1080i's standard. So people will have an incentive
    to buy real BR player but they can also buy BR disc to get a slightly
    better picture than SD DVD.

    Guest, Jan 9, 2006

  5. Unless you have a set that doesn't have HDMI inputs. As far as I know
    (please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have a set with HDMI inputs),
    BR players will only display full resolution on sets that supports copy
    protection over HDMI. The component outputs will always be crippled to
    480p with BR.

    Seth Mattinen, Jan 9, 2006
  6. Goro

    Alpha Guest

    Incorrect. There is a reference directly to Blu Ray about content size3.

    Alpha, Jan 9, 2006
  7. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Goro, Jan 9, 2006
  8. Goro

    Alpha Guest

    1080p is a very marginal improvement on 1080i and almost all stand-alone
    hardware currently announced (except for that approaching 2 grand) will not
    play it. Of course, computers with big RAM will. I do not think the Sony
    moniker of "Beyond High Definition" is anything but deception.

    Alpha, Jan 9, 2006
  9. Goro

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    720p does not equal 1080i. They are two different formats, each with
    their own strengths and weaknesses.

    Joshua Zyber, Jan 9, 2006
  10. Goro

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    It's about as meaningful as all the statements from Sony and the Blu-Ray
    camp about HD-DVD's deficiencies.

    We're at the stage where both sides are gearing up for battle. You're
    going to see a lot of FUD all around.

    Joshua Zyber, Jan 9, 2006
  11. I don't doubt that in the slightest. But it would be nice to think that
    independent people would be able to see through such nonsense when the
    bias is as glaringly one-sided as that article.

    Jim Gilliland, Jan 9, 2006
  12. Goro

    G-squared Guest

    But if the material came from movies (24fps film), 1080p30 vs 1080i vs
    1080p60 is meaningless.
    GG

    G-squared, Jan 10, 2006
  13. Goro

    Mr. X Guest

    Sure you can. The PS3 will work as a player but it will look like a toy.

    Style concious people will pay more for a "professional" looking unit and
    "videophiles" will pay 3x as much for a unit with "oxygen free copper
    interconnects" even if the motherboard is actually the same.

    Mr. X, Jan 12, 2006
  14. Goro

    Mr. X Guest

    Yes, you can on fast motion quite easily.

    On interlaced the edges of everything moveing fast looks like =

    While on a progressive set it looks like o

    Interlaceing never should have been included in the new spec as a
    transmission format, it's as simple as that. The new displays are not
    interlaced and interlaceing makes compression less effective and artifacts
    much worse. It's a concept that was clever 50 years ago but no longer fits
    the technology in use.

    Mr. X, Jan 12, 2006