    I would like to know if those of you feel that Grisoft AVG FREE is an
    adequate protection for my system. If not, how is the paid version?

    Thank you.

    Babel17delany, Apr 30, 2005

  2. I found an article that compares some of the anti viruses. You might want to
    check that link out...

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 30, 2005

  3. Babel17delany

    DavidPostill Guest

    | I found an article that compares some of the anti viruses. You might want to
    | check that link out...

    What link would that be then?

    No sign of one in your post.

    DavidPostill, Apr 30, 2005
  4. http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/117776

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 30, 2005
  5. Babel17delany

    Unruh Guest

    We are all waiting with baited breath-- Which link?

    Unruh, May 1, 2005
  6. Babel17delany

    SteveB Guest

    A couple of magazine comparisons put AVG ahead of Norton for efficacy
    against viruses & trojans. Avast come out best though out of the free ones.
    Personally speaking, friends of mine are using AVG (and Avast) with no
    problems, but I was unlucky enough to get a virus only hours after updating
    AVG about a year ago so I stopped using it. I've been using F-Secure ever
    since (not free). I was impressed by the fact there aren't any serial
    cracks for F-Secure Internet Security that work, they must know a thing or
    two about security I thought, so I paid real money for a combined AV and
    firewall.

    SteveB, May 1, 2005
  7. Babel17delany

    Jim Watt Guest

    Its a link to a page with a link to a review from
    Computer Shopper magazine, reproduced by the
    author

    http://www.transceiver.co.uk/txt/av05.html

    By coincidence I've been looking at Grisoft as a lot of
    my clients use Symantec and I hate the product and would
    like something less intrusive.

    Jim Watt, May 1, 2005
  8. Babel17delany, May 1, 2005
  9. Babel17delany

    DANG Guest

    I've used AVG for years and can't complain. However I don't restrict myself
    to only using one av application. Generally, I scan on command on a regular
    basis and do not use real-time scanning, so resource hogging isn't a
    problem. There have been a few occasions where various little annoyances
    that AVG missed were picked up by another av application, for example in one
    case, Kaspersky lite. No application is infallible and anti-virus software
    can only attempt to keep up with latest viral definitions, so no particular
    application will provide 100% "security".
    I also feel that it's a matter of semantics. I view a correctly configured
    browser and firewall as "protection", anti-virus as an "antiseptic", and
    regular back-ups as "insurance", but the most important factors, as far as
    security is concerned, are just pure common sense and awareness.
    HTH

    DANG, May 1, 2005
  10. Babel17delany

    Winged Guest

    Amen.

    Something has failed when AV catches a virus. Dang is right on the
    mark. People who rely on only 1 tier of defense are open to compromise.
    No single hardware or software solution is 100% against all vector
    scenarios. Having multiple layers of properly managed firewalls (for
    example) by different vendors, is much more secure than relying on a
    single appliance or application. I know firewall layering seriously
    disrupts various types of protocol tunneling attacks. Basic things such
    as proxies can avert numerous threats. Patching is a critical protection
    measure.

    But a knowledgeable user base is by far the most effective first line of
    defense.

    Winged

    Winged, May 1, 2005
  11. You can't legally drive a car without a license, so I'm wondering if there
    will ever be an 'Internet test' ? If you fail it, you can't apply for
    Internet access anywhere. (I'd better make the most of it then.)

    I guess good old human nature will come into play though, and as soon as
    people pass their 'Internet test', it'll be like ; "Woohoo! Cool ! I passed.
    Oh, someone loves me, better see what they attached to this email ...".

    SB.

    Superbo Barnetta, May 1, 2005
  12. Babel17delany

    Guest Guest

    Guest, May 1, 2005
  13. You should look into using Avast-I have been using it for 3 years now
    with good results-no infection,ever. I can't say the same for AVG which
    I used before switching. There are some other tools you need to keep
    your computer safe besides an AV. I have info and links on my pages.
    One other thing,you should make a backup of important files and then do
    a complete format and install of win98 to get rid of any traces of Norton.
    -max

    What's in a Name?, May 1, 2005
  14. Babel17delany

    Jim Watt Guest

    You could also have a licence for using the telephone
    and a degree course required for tuning televisions.

    Just think of all the jobs that could be created and the
    agencies and bodies to regulate us even more.

    or maybe not ...

    Jim Watt, May 1, 2005
  15. I will look into Avast.
    It appears from Vanguard's list that Norton & McAfee have the best virus
    detection rates.

    Babel17delany, May 2, 2005
  16. Babel17delany

    nemo_outis Guest

    Kaspersky hammers them all. Moreover, Kaspersky is particularly good for
    those who indulge in "high risk internetting" since it is excellent at
    unravelling most packing schemes and other slimy tricks used to conceal
    viruses.

    Regards,

    PS Kaspersky does have a clumsy interface but I can live with a few warts
    since the engine is so powerful (and the updates are so frequent).

    nemo_outis, May 2, 2005
  17. Babel17delany

    Winged Guest

    Winged, May 3, 2005
  18. Babel17delany

    SteveB Guest

    That's why I use F-Secure Internet Security, it's an easy to use variant of
    Kaspersky plus 2 other scanners all working together (plus a firewall).

    SteveB, May 3, 2005
  19. Does Kaspersky have a free version like Grisoft? Or a trial version?

    Babel17delany, May 3, 2005
  20. Babel17delany

    nemo_outis Guest

    30-day trial (but there are lots of cracks out there)

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, May 4, 2005