  1. Doug

    Doug Guest

    is firewall protection really necessary?

    Doug, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Doug

    Rob K Guest

    Il se trouve que "Doug" a formulé :
    It all depends of your definition of 'Really necessary'.
    In general terms : yes.

    Rob K, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Doug

    Ionizer Guest

    Yes. Particularly if you're on broadband, but yes. It's easy and there are
    freeware choices, including the default XP firewall. Have a look at this
    very recent PCWorld article on the topic:
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,112920,00.asp

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Doug

    ilmc Guest

    Doug typed:
    Y_E_S!!
    It will help to stop your box from being taken over by the spam gangs
    looking for ways to propogate their gloop.
    It will help you not to be an inocent (sic) party in forwarding spam.

    ilmc, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Doug

    Mara Guest

    Yes.

    Note: EZ Armor 12-month subscription is now free for Microsoft customers (for a
    year)

    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    Mara, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Doug Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    Do you want to take a chance of someone getting onto your computer
    without your knowlege? If the answer is 'no' then yes, you need a
    firewall.

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Nov 21, 2003
  7. Doug

    Gadget Guest

    I use Zone Alarm (Free Version). I installed it about 60 days ago and it
    reports : "496 intrusions have been blocked since install, 285 of those
    have been high rated". I think you need it.

    LOL

    Gadget, Nov 21, 2003
  8. Doug

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    From my copy:
    197,762 blocked
    66,394 high

    -= Hawk =-, Nov 21, 2003

  9. 406,234 and 7348 :)

    How's it going, Hawk?

    Experienced but Undocumented, Nov 21, 2003
  10. Doug

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Not bad, finally got a few days of cool weather and got
    to open the windows. You?

    -= Hawk =-, Nov 21, 2003
  11. Wow...you get to have your windows open? *Looks outside at the white* :p

    -Graham

    Experienced but Undocumented, Nov 21, 2003
  12. Doug

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Yeah, almost closed 'em and turned the AC back on since
    it warmed up pretty good this afternoon and there's no
    trees shading the house anymore but we kept 'em open
    anyhow.

    -= Hawk =-, Nov 21, 2003
  13. Doug

    M Mullen Guest

    |> is firewall protection really necessary?

    I used to say no, as long as you don't allow file sharing. Then I got a worm
    just by being online (my first virual), and I'm a dial-up connection. Sigh, now
    I use ZoneAlarm.

    My first:
    http://pchell.com/virus/welchia.shtml

    M Mullen, Nov 21, 2003
  14. Doug

    Zermut Guest

    Are you in Florida?

    Zermut, Nov 21, 2003
  15. Doug

    Warrior Guest

    YES
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp Free, for private use.
    http://zonelog.co.uk/ Free - ZoneLog Analyser reads and displays the log
    file generated by ZoneLabs' ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro (V2.1.10 and later)
    personal firewall, entries in the log are generated whenever an unauthorised
    connection is attempted to or from your PC during connection to the
    Internet. ZoneLog Analyser will attempt to unravel the information that is
    provided in the ZoneAlarm log file by giving information about the ports
    used and the ability to 'look up' the intruder's address details.

    Warrior, Dec 30, 2003
  16. Doug

    Krazzy

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Is Firewall Necessary

    I have been connected to the net now for over nine years and have never used a Firewall, and have never had any problems.

    Krazzy, Dec 26, 2008