Is Firefox really faster and IE

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Zimran Douglas, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. I've been running firefox for a couple months now
    and I've come to the conclusion that it is not that much better than IE
    in terms of systems resources

    e.g. I have firefox and IE set to the same homepage
    When I turn on my computer I click four icons from my quicklaunch menu in
    this order
    1. Firefox
    2. Outlook (email)
    3. outlook express (for news)
    4. Internet Explorer
    I've done this over a few days and every time I do it Firefox is a last one
    to launch
    so I've concluded that is does not launch faster than IE

    Next I look at the process windows to check the memory usage when my
    homepage is loaded in both browsers
    Firefox.exe Mem Usage 41800K
    Iexplore.exe Mem Usage 30932K

    In every other observation I've made firefox is using at least 5000k more
    memory than IE

    For now firefox is still my default browser but I am not quite convinced
    that it is that much better than IE

    Zimran Douglas, Jan 11, 2005

  2. Remember though that IE is completely interwoven into the OS. Large
    parts of it are running at all times, and you don't even see it. Taking
    that into account, FF uses fewer system resources then IE.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 11, 2005

  3. Zimran Douglas

    Arne Guest

    I guess that's the parts of IE that are running at all times, is main
    reason why I'm "adviced" at Windows Update to install patches also for
    IE, even if I'm not using the browser? :)

    Arne, Jan 11, 2005
  4. Zimran Douglas

    Guest Guest

    that's crap. ie is not 'completely interwoven' into the os. the only reason why ie loads faster is
    that some of the dll's it is using are already loaded by other processes. iexplorer.exe just doesn't
    have to load them from disk. that's the only reason why ie is usually faster then ff.
    ff and ie have a quite similar architecture. the difference is that ie's rendering engine is used by
    other products, the most popular beeing the windows help system.

    Guest, Jan 11, 2005
  5. Zimran Douglas

    Herb Guest

    I've found the same to be true. As others have stated, MSIE is embedded
    into the Windows Op System. But apparently giving up speed using FF is
    one trade-off we must suffer to gain the benefits of less MSIE browser
    pop-ups, etc.

    Herb, Jan 11, 2005
  6. Zimran Douglas

    Drude Guest

    That's weird... I hear so many people saying that Firefox is slower
    than IE, but I have the total opposite experience. One of the main
    reasons I use FF is that it kicks IE's ass for speed on my system. I
    have mine pipelined, but it was fast before I did that.

    I find FF opens far faster than IE, and pages load somewhat (but enough)
    faster.

    ???

    -Drude

    Drude, Jan 11, 2005
  7. Zimran Douglas

    Charles Guest

    | I've been running firefox for a couple months now
    | and I've come to the conclusion that it is not that much better than IE
    | in terms of systems resources
    |
    | e.g. I have firefox and IE set to the same homepage
    | When I turn on my computer I click four icons from my quicklaunch menu in
    | this order
    | 1. Firefox
    | 2. Outlook (email)
    | 3. outlook express (for news)
    | 4. Internet Explorer
    | I've done this over a few days and every time I do it Firefox is a last one
    | to launch
    | so I've concluded that is does not launch faster than IE
    |
    | Next I look at the process windows to check the memory usage when my
    | homepage is loaded in both browsers
    | Firefox.exe Mem Usage 41800K
    | Iexplore.exe Mem Usage 30932K
    |
    | In every other observation I've made firefox is using at least 5000k more
    | memory than IE
    |
    | For now firefox is still my default browser but I am not quite convinced
    | that it is that much better than IE
    |
    | --
    | Please remove the word REMOVE from my email address to reply to me

    If that's how you're judging your Browsers, then you're probably right. it probably
    isn't much better than IE.

    So go back to IE for the little extra memory, (except for
    the few MB that the spyware uses). Go back and enjoy IE for the quicker load times
    (Oh yeah, minus the ads loading in the background). I truly hope that you have a more
    enjoyable experience (Ignore the pop-ups, they're not THAT bad). Don't listen to any
    of the Mags?experts?government, who are all trying to tell you that FF is safer, and
    better. Don't listen to Secunia, who log 'Holes' (IE has 70-something criticals,
    FF-4).
    moment.

    No, go back and enjoy your virus ridden, insecure, hacker open, ad/spyware infested
    browsing experience. Really. Enjoy.

    Charles, Jan 12, 2005
  8. Zimran Douglas

    Nobody Guest

    Am I dumb? (And I can already see a flurry of flaming messages
    confirming that!)

    But, ah, it's not the speed that "browsers" or "readers" LAUNCH on a
    system but how fast they process or LOAD data from the World Wide Web.

    My experience shows that Moz (currently v1.7.5) and Opera (v7.11) far
    outperform MS Internet Explorer.

    Nobody, Jan 12, 2005
  9. :
    :
    : So go back to IE for the little extra memory, (except for
    : the few MB that the spyware uses). Go back and enjoy IE for the quicker
    load times
    : (Oh yeah, minus the ads loading in the background). I truly hope that you
    have a more
    : enjoyable experience (Ignore the pop-ups, they're not THAT bad). Don't
    listen to any
    : of the Mags?experts?government, who are all trying to tell you that FF is
    safer, and
    : better. Don't listen to Secunia, who log 'Holes' (IE has 70-something
    criticals,
    : FF-4).
    given
    : moment.
    :
    : No, go back and enjoy your virus ridden, insecure, hacker open, ad/spyware
    infested
    : browsing experience. Really. Enjoy.

    I see a lot of folks are starting to get defensive and worked up.
    I am not here to promote or disparage any browsers I am just listing an
    observation.
    spyware would run on computer regardless of what browser you use since a lot
    of them are bundled with programs
    that people download.
    And only users who are not careful about protecting there system get viruses
    and such.
    What does IE has to do with someone opening an email attachment that
    contains a virus.
    What does IE has to do with someone who fails update their AV software
    IE is not the reason, uneducated users are the culprit.
    but I am not here to argue which browser is safer, just that I find at
    firefox takes longer to load that other programs
    on my computer and it uses more memory than other programs on my computer.

    Zimran Douglas, Jan 12, 2005
  10. : Am I dumb? (And I can already see a flurry of flaming messages
    : confirming that!)
    :
    : But, ah, it's not the speed that "browsers" or "readers" LAUNCH on a
    : system but how fast they process or LOAD data from the World Wide Web.
    :
    : My experience shows that Moz (currently v1.7.5) and Opera (v7.11) far
    : outperform MS Internet Explorer.
    :

    I disagree, that was the same thing said about Netscape 6. (it rendered
    faster than Netscape 4, but I did not notice any difference between Netscape
    and IE 5)
    I have not notice any increase in the rendering speed of FF on websites that
    I visit, over the speed that IE renders the same site.
    Frankly I've seen the opposite. e.g. www.msnbc.com
    can you give me a website where firefox noticeable renders a webpage faster
    than IE?
    as I said before FF is my default browser but many times I've had to switch
    to IE because some pages just would
    not display properly in firefox, even some without activex content.

    Zimran Douglas, Jan 12, 2005
  11. Zimran Douglas

    Nobody Guest

    As you can read, I do not use FF specifically... only Moz suite and
    Opera.

    Both these render significantly faster to my unscientific observations
    on a number of site including <stuff.co.nz> for example.

    Nobody, Jan 12, 2005
  12. Apart from the million and one reasons I could go into that make FireFox
    a better browser there is one obvious problem with IE from a web
    designers point of view. IE translates code and gives out an awful
    rendition to the screen. Coding with standards compliant code a webpage
    looks exactly how you told it to in FireFox bit in IE it is a real pain
    in the ass having to constantly use code hacks to get things to work and
    render properly. As for page load times, there are a few examples of IE
    study into this testing 1000 of the most popular pages on the Internet
    and FireFox loaded something like 950 of them quicker than IE at about
    an avarage of 2 seconds.

    King of Red Lions, Jan 12, 2005
  13. Zimran Douglas

    Tx2 Guest

    Are these pages listed anywhere? How on earth were they determined to be
    the "most popular" - what methods were used?

    Tx2, Jan 12, 2005
  14. I think they were the 1000 most visited sites from google's search.
    I'll try and find it for you people but it's very obvious that FireFox
    is the much faster browser at displaying a page - even Microsoft said
    so. Making IE7 fast is one of the things that they must do to compete
    with open source - that was said by a certain Microsoft development manager.

    King of Red Lions, Jan 12, 2005
  15. Zimran Douglas

    Splibbilla Guest

    IE app seems to load faster for me, but i don't think there's much diff between page loads, EXCEPT when there's all kinds fo
    activeX junk messages i have to click donw in IE6.. that's when FF or Moz loads pages MUCH faster :)

    Splibbilla, Jan 13, 2005
  16. Another unscientific experiment. I have three computers hooked up to a
    Linksys router. I tested two of them.

    1) Dell laptop with a 1 GHz P4, 30 GB HD & 256 MB RAM running latest
    Firefox & Thunderbird.

    2) Dell PwerEdge SC420 2.8 GHz P$, 80 GB HD & 256 MB RAM running latest MSIE
    6.0 & Outlook Express

    Tested opening webpages for CNN, ESPN & MSNBC. Firefox opened MSNBC & CNN
    about 15 seconds faster than MSIE 6.0. It opened ESPN about 30 seconds
    faster than MSIE 6.0.

    The sites were accessed by clicking on icons on each browser at the same
    time.

    I am happier with Firefox than with Thunderbird. Still have not figured out
    how to get Thunderbird to display the message body text, and not just the
    header only with the "Click here" message.

    I will compare some more websites later this evening.

    Regards,

    Alton

    Alton B Wilson, Jan 13, 2005
  17. Zimran Douglas

    Drude Guest

    What kind of connection do you have? It takes about 3 seconds to load
    my start page (BBC News mainpage)in Firefox, and about 7 or 8 in IE.
    That includes actually opening the programs.

    Drude

    Drude, Jan 13, 2005
  18. Zimran Douglas

    Herb Guest

    I also use a Linksys router. As far as speed goes, when I begin and
    first open up FF and TB, that is where I see the slower speed compared
    to MSIE. Seems like it takes 4ever from the time I double-click the
    desk top icon until the start window pops up,

    -Hherb

    Herb, Jan 13, 2005
  19. Zimran Douglas

    Tx2 Guest

    I don't understand this ... ?

    Tx2, Jan 13, 2005
  20. Drude,

    I have a cable modem connection to a Linksys router. Tonight I compared
    ABC, CBS and MSNBC websites. I got the following times:

    Internet Explorer CBS 10 secs, ABC 19 secs, MSNBC 14 secs; and (after I
    read your message, had already shutdown Firefox) http://www.bbc.co.uk 6 secs

    Thunderbird CBS 11 secs, ABC 15 secs, MSNBC 11 secs
    ..

    Alton B Wilson, Jan 14, 2005