Is Cisco PIX Application level firewall or Packet level firewall?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Learning Cisco, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. I have a very basic question. Is cisco PIX an Application level
    firewall or Packet level firewall?

    Learning Cisco, Oct 14, 2005

  2. Learning Cisco

    Chris Guest

    It's a Stateful Inspection firewall.

    Chris.

    Chris, Oct 14, 2005

  3. Learning Cisco

    coin Guest

    Packet firewall

    coin, Oct 14, 2005
  4. :packet firewall

    The question was whether the PIX was an application level firewall or
    a packet firewall.

    The answer is that it runs at layer 5 or so -- a protocol level firewall.
    Most of what it does, it handles at layer 4, but there are some things
    it handles at layer 5, such as SMTP inspection, FTP port handling,
    and URL inspection. For SMTP and HTTP, it reassembles packets to prevent
    attacks from slipping by by splitting them between packets. For SMTP,
    it filters the complete layer 5 conversation, permitting only those
    commands that are on its internal allowed list.

    PIX 6.x has no anti-virus, and does not attempt to do anything like
    validate SQL queries against an authorization schema.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 15, 2005