Is Best of Abbott & Costello Vol 3 The Last Volume in the Series?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Cato The Elder, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. I'm getting ready for Abbott & Costello Vol 3 tomorrow!

    It will feature 8 films:

    Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
    Mexican Hayride (1948)
    Abbott and Costello Meet The Killer, Boris Karloff (1949)
    Abbott & Costello in The Foriegn Legion (1950)
    Abbott and Costello Meet The Invisible Man (1951)
    Comin' Round the Mountain (1951)
    Lost In Alaska (1952)
    Abbott And Costello Go To Mars (1953)

    The good news is that Vol 3 is better than I expected, especially
    since it includes 'Go to Mars' in the sequence and the third volume
    has a neat horror-mystery-science fiction flavor.

    My only downer is that by now they should have announced Volume 4 in
    the series and best as I can tell, they have not.

    Any info on a proposed Volume 4?

    Cato The Elder, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Cato The Elder

    jayembee Guest

    says...
    Based on the release pattern, v.4 should be along in November, but
    that's when Universal is releasing their Marx Bros. and WC Fields
    collections, so A&C v.4 would be pushed off until later.

    At any rate, Universal hasn't announced a date or contents. However,
    there are only three or four A&C titles remaining in Universal's
    library, so it's pretty clear that v.4 would be only a single-disc
    release.

    The three certain titles would be A&C MEET DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE
    (1953), A&C MEET THE KEYSTONE KOPS (1955), and A&C MEET THE MUMMY
    (1955). A possible fourth might be FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD (1954),
    which was intended to be an A&C film, but they dropped out at the
    last minute. Supposedly, they have an unbilled cameo (and a distant
    shot, at that, so they really aren't very visible).

    The only other possibility would be if Universal included the 1943
    film, IT AIN'T HAY, which was left out of v.2 because no decent copies
    of it exist anymore. There's also the A&C MEET JERRY SEINFELD TV special
    that was supposed to be on v.2 but wasn't.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Aug 3, 2004

  3. Cato The Elder

    Joe Guest

    There's also the A&C MEET JERRY SEINFELD TV special
    I checked DDD.com and they have this volume for region 1 w/ that special on it,
    or is it a misprint? Also - does anyone know if they are going to put all these
    volumes together and sell them as a package deal?

    - jb

    Joe, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Cato The Elder

    jayembee Guest

    says...
    Neither. Volume 2 was solicited with that special listed as an
    extra, but it wasn't in the set.
    Possible. But I doubt that Universal is thinking that far ahead.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Aug 4, 2004