    jayembee Guest

    Well, I don't know about "safer", but it's certainly *no less* safe.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 15, 2003

  2. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    I saw its weekly ads on its Web site for $14.99 this week. I had a
    Actually, rarely. I rarely use my credit card in stores. It is mostly
    cash and checks.
    --
    "Really. And do these lions eat ants?" --John Cleese in Monty Python's
    Flying Circus
    | |o o| | E-mail: or
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )

    ANTant, Oct 15, 2003

  3. ANTant

    Justin Guest

    Then where do you use your credit card?

    And checks can also easily be manipulated

    Justin, Oct 15, 2003
  4. ANTant

    Justin Guest

    jayembee wrote on [Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:57:09 GMT]:
    normally a cc number doesn't even get looked at by a human at an online
    store. Whereas every server gets a copy of the pertinent information
    from every customer they see

    Justin, Oct 15, 2003
  5. These days, many of the stores I shop at seem to make a point of
    requiring their employees to learn my last name off my credit card: I
    hand the card over to pay for my purchases, the employee glances at it
    once quickly before putting it through, and for the rest of the
    transaction it's all, "Please sign here, Mr Bailey" and "Thank you, Mr
    Bailey."

    I'm sure this is meant to make the experience more personal somehow,
    but frankly I don't find it at all comforting to be reminded of the
    speed with which someone can memorise information off my card.

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Oct 15, 2003
  6. ANTant

    Justin Guest

    Douglas Bailey wrote on [Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:26:08 -0400]:
    Oh, this is one of my pet peeves. Even when it's not a credit card, but
    someone that I don't know at all, and who doesn't know me, should not be
    calling me by name at all, it's just plain rude.

    Justin, Oct 15, 2003
  7. ANTant

    Tarkus Guest

    And used online at many sites.

    Tarkus, Oct 15, 2003
  8. ANTant

    Mark B. Guest

    The men in black helicoptors can still track you. Honestly, your paranoia
    is unfounded.

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 15, 2003
  9. ANTant

    Doc_Johnson Guest

    Lets see, you find it discomforting that someone learns your last name from a
    credit card yet you post it on usenet for thousands of troubled minds consisting
    of felons, pedophiles, and various degenerates to harvest freely. Hmmmmm

    Doc

    Doc_Johnson, Oct 15, 2003
  10. ANTant

    Tarkus Guest

    Agreed.

    Tarkus, Oct 15, 2003
  11. ANTant

    Eric Guest

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Now, HERE'S one with good taste for music.
    Hope you've got the air guitar ready for Mike's closing lead!
    ;^)

    Eric, Oct 15, 2003
  12. ANTant

    Tarkus Guest

    Always. :)
    --
    "The thing about a shark, it's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a
    doll's eyes. When it comes at you it doesn't seem to be livin'... until

    Now playing: "UFO - Natural Thing"

    Tarkus, Oct 15, 2003
  13. Oh, I am paranoid about buying stuff online.
    Discover Card has a computer program that generates one use only numbers.

    Michael Walker, Oct 15, 2003
  14. | I saw its weekly ads on its Web site for $14.99 this week. I had a hard
    | time reading the fine prints, but I think that was for the new store or
    | something.
    |
    | Are there any other stores (not online) selling the DVD for cheaper?
    | Thank you in advance. :)

    Wal*Mart: $14.87

    JaF

    Just a friend, Oct 15, 2003
  15. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Actually, rarely. I rarely use my credit card in stores. It is mostly
    Food, computer stuff, etc. in retail stores.

    ANTant, Oct 15, 2003
  16. ANTant

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    You should shop at Sam's Club. Not only do they call you by your name,
    they use your first name and in my case they diminutize (is that a word) it.

    dick
    -- my first name is James so I get called Jim eventhough I don't go by
    that name because that's the name my dad goes by.

    Dick Sidbury, Oct 16, 2003
  17. ANTant

    Justin Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote on [Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:14:34 -0400]:
    Yes, and at our Sam's they have the policy that if they don't use your
    name then you get a dollar.

    That is RUDE, IMHO

    Justin, Oct 16, 2003
  18. In
    Only great if you don't own the Animatrix or The Matrix
    itself already. Most likely however that anyone buying
    Reloaded owns them both.

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Oct 16, 2003
  19. It's the "from my credit card" part that's off-putting, and then only
    because there are other data on the card that I *don't* want to have
    floating around in general circulation.

    I'm not worried about the employees knowing my name.

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Oct 16, 2003
  20. ANTant

    Erik Harris Guest

    Ahh, yes, the McDonald's Generation, whose motto is "Now Isn't Fast Enough"
    :)

    --
    Erik Harris [email protected]$harrishom$.com
    AIM: KngFuJoe http://www.eharrishome.com

    The above email address is obfuscated to try to prevent SPAM.
    Replace each dollar sign with an "e" for the correct address.

    Erik Harris, Oct 17, 2003