Is bash.sh compiled or interpreted?

Discussion in 'Linux Networking' started by Avoid9Pdf, Apr 3, 2013.

  1. Avoid9Pdf

    Avoid9Pdf Guest

    My previous query has exposed much of my confusion.
    Pascal B's smpt.sh:-----------
    ....<initialise variables>
    cat>$message
    (
    read line 0<&3 ; $trace "$line">$log
    case "$line" in 2*) ;; *) echo "QUIT" 1>&3 ; exit 0 ;; esac
    echo "HELO $local_name" 1>&3
    read line 0<&3 ; $trace "$line">$log
    case "$line" in 2*) ;; *) echo "QUIT" 1>&3 ; exit 0 ;; esac
    echo "MAIL FROM: <${from}>" 1>&3
    echo "QUIT" 1>&3
    ) 3<>/dev/tcp/$smtp_server/25
    -----------------------

    Is it right that FD3 is bound to "/dev/tcp/$smtp_server/25"
    only at the last line of the script, whereas FD3 is USED
    in previous lines;
    so that the complete script must be compiled before the
    <implementing code> is generated ?

    So that this presents a very unnatural mental model for users
    who are used to scientific or legal thinking, where the text
    can be confirmed as being valid at intermediate stages?
    ----
    Per Joe Beanfish;
    cat>$message
    means 'read from stdin and write that to File:message'.

    Is this completed before the (instruction-sequence starts),
    because `read line` will use stdin?
    So what's the point of `cat>$message` ?
    Is it just to write a little introduction, before the actual task
    starts?

    Do readers understand the WHOLE script as implementing
    a mail-client -- other than just snippets?
    And how it would it be decomposed into testable parts?

    What are possible successive refinement versions of test
    scripts for this task. I.e the 'hello world model' must be used.
    Ie. each version must be stand-alone-complete, and
    extended by later versions.

    == TIA.

    Avoid9Pdf, Apr 3, 2013

  2. no, they are all interpreters.

    probably written in C, and compiled :)

    --
    Ineptocracy

    diminishing number of producers.

    The Natural Philosopher, Apr 3, 2013

  3. Avoid9Pdf

    unruh Guest

    No, the scripts are interpreted. The programs themselves are compiled
    but the scripts are interpreted.

    unruh, Apr 4, 2013
  4. Avoid9Pdf

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    Chris,

    Do you ever read the manuals?

    Please stop morphing your send identifiers. A consistent net identity
    increases your probability of getting useful responses.

    Tauno Voipio, Apr 8, 2013