  1. I'm thinking of ditching Verizon in favor of Vonage but I keep thinking
    there's got to be a catch.

    Is there? What are the pros and cons of Vonage?

    Brian Merlini, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Brian Merlini

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Jan 9, 2005

  3. I'm actually looking at it for phone service, not IS. Sorry for not being
    clearer.

    Brian Merlini, Jan 9, 2005
  4. Brian Merlini

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Jan 9, 2005
  5. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    09 Jan 2005 17:41:08 GMT, screamed from
    behind the mulberry bush:
    I hope not. She'd find something to bitch about.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jan 9, 2005
  6. That's strange. The top link (haven't checked the bottom one) gives
    lots of reviews of VOIP services. From reading those, the main issue
    with Vonage appears to be with theirtech support.

    Shane Matthews, Jan 9, 2005
  7. For twenty seven bucks a month and change, I get unlimited calls to 50
    states and Canada. Period.

    Bonus: My mom is on a fixed income out of state. I selected her area
    and got a phone number that is local to her for five more bucks a
    month so she can call anytime (not that I'm here that much) and it's a
    local call for her.

    Bonus two: You can plug your Vonage box into a phone jack wherever
    your router/hub/modem is and put dial tone on two or three hundred
    feet of phone cable. This is a spacious four bedroom and my Vonage
    box lights up every jack in the house.

    The *catch* is that you've got to have reliable broadband and your
    upstream has to be clean and solid. Three of us have seven machines
    and two Vonage boxes on a 384 Comcast upstream without any problems.
    If you get 128 or less up, be sure to go to your Vonage page and set
    the quality to normal which uses only 30k. High quality chews up 90k!
    There really isn't much difference in the quality.

    Vonage recommends plugging the box in before the router, but I've used
    it on the router, a hub on the router, and a second router connected
    to the hub and never had a problem in any configuration.

    I'll even pass on the referral bonus by not telling you who I am. ;-)

    Anybody in here want a gmail account?

    Swill

    "As God is my witness, I'll never have POTS again!"

    Governor Swill, Jan 10, 2005