    says that the movie cannot be copied, and then the machine said "writing to
    disc" which took a few seconds. Is the machine writing something that ruins
    the discs? Thanks.

    j, Mar 20, 2007

  2. j

    pen Guest

    +R and -R are 2 separate types of write once disks. RW is re-writeable.

    pen, Mar 20, 2007

  3. j

    Robert Baer Guest

    As usual, the "salesperson" did not know squat; they only wanted to
    earn their commission.
    DVD-R and DVD+R are write once read many disks; take them back for a
    refund and buy disks elsewhere (Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, etc).
    DVD-RW and DVD+RW are re-writeable; that is what the "W" stands for.
    Not much difference between -R and +R (or -RW and +RW) these daze; i
    use +RW exclusively for everything, even if i know it is going to be a
    "one-shot".

    Have you never heard of "Digital Rights Management" (DRM)?
    That means you have no rights at all of making a copy even if that
    copy is allowed in the copyright law.
    Numerous movies are "protected" this way, and it will get worse -
    especially in the high definition area, as Micro$uck has a mandate in
    their Vista software that *all* hardware (and companion software) *must*
    comply to DRM.
    This means that new hardware will be made to that *mandate* and Linux
    or any other software cannot get around the BS.

    Robert Baer, Mar 21, 2007
  4. j

    John A Guest

    That "RW" with a bit if the R missing and the strokes of the W vertical
    doesn't mean it is a re-writeable disc - just that it uses the "+"
    technology. Don't ask me why such a confusing logo was adopted!

    John A, Mar 21, 2007