    normal 911 and blurting "grammas sick".

    I think VOIP is a good thing but you need to be aware of the above and train
    anyone who may be in your house that it isn't "normal" 911

    George, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Shashay Doofray

    The Real Bev Guest

    No. Not VOIP. Your ordinary phone and phone line, although
    disconnected, will still be able to reach 911. By law. I don't know
    what will happen if your old phone number is reassigned, but that takes
    at least 6 months.
    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Shashay Doofray

    modervador Guest

    George,

    Since you've repeated the typo a few times, I thought you might want to recall,

    9/11 is September 11, 911 is the phone number.

    %mod%

    modervador, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Shashay Doofray

    Guest Guest

    Where are you located and what is the POTS company that you can do
    this with?

    We dropped our landline service and the only time it was functional
    was when the telco gave the line to a new customer and we started to
    get their calls!

    They fixed it and since then the line is DEAD no way to use it to call
    911 or anyone else!

    You can use a cell [hone that has no service assigned to it to cal
    911, but this is usually not the case with POTS.

    Guest, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Shashay Doofray

    Guest Guest

    Aren't you putting the cart before the horse here - although they also
    are not related to each other - 911 was in the works and well
    established long before the telco realized they could can the
    operators and save personnel costs. Your comments are just
    coincidence!

    Guest, Feb 3, 2004
  6. Shashay Doofray

    Guest Guest

    What are you talking about "9/11" ?

    Guest, Feb 3, 2004
  7. Shashay Doofray

    ben Guest

    I always thought it was kind of wierd that the phone number and the date
    had a connection.

    regards,
    Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or
    connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

    ben, Feb 3, 2004
  8. A live operator will not have your address but 911 will.

    George Grapman, Feb 3, 2004
  9. Shashay Doofray

    The Real Bev Guest

    SoCal. That's what either Verizon, his former landline, or one of his
    cow-orkers who had switched to Packet8 previously, told him.

    http://www.sunhelp.org/pipermail/rescue/2003-October/095500.html refers
    to New York.
    I just pass on what I've heard -- too cheap to buy broadband again
    unless the price drops considerably.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Feb 3, 2004
  10. Shashay Doofray

    Guest Guest

    ~$16.00 a month not cheep enough for you?

    Guest, Feb 3, 2004
  11. Shashay Doofray

    mike Guest

    Yes, 911 reporting service is necessary so Big Brother can always know
    where you are. It's kinda hard to convince the judge you were out of
    town when your cell pnone record shows you were inside the bank when it
    got robbed.

    Note to self, when robbing a bank, leave the phone at home.

    It won't be long before those surveillance cameras will also record all
    the cell phones in the area. Looks like 1984 will be only about 30
    years late.
    mike
    --
    Return address is VALID.
    Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

    mike, Feb 3, 2004
  12. Shashay Doofray

    The Real Bev Guest

    Not available. We can get Charter (I spit on Paul Allen's grave, may he
    soon rest in it) for $45/month (with truly crappy service) or Altrio
    (about to go belly up) for $25 for half the speed.

    Yeah, Pasadena is a backwater. No DSL either, even though it costs even
    more than the cable providers.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Feb 3, 2004
  13. Shashay Doofray

    Guest Guest

    On 2 Feb 2004 17:03:38 -0800, in
    misc.consumers.frugal-living
    (modervador) wrote:

    :
    :> I California if you call 9/11 from a cell it gets you the regional CHP center
    :> which will not have your location and may or may not have your phone number. This
    :> is changing so they will know the location of the nearest cell but nothing else.
    :
    :George,
    :
    :Since you've repeated the typo a few times, I thought you might want to recall,
    :
    :9/11 is September 11, 911 is the phone number.
    :
    :%mod%

    picky little troll aren't you?

    Guest, Feb 3, 2004
  14. Shashay Doofray

    Charks Guest

    Yeah, yeah, big brother is hiding under your bed, counting the number of
    mattress squeaks.

    Charks, Feb 3, 2004
  15. The most famous example of this sort of thing was the 911 call before the
    Atlanta Olympics bombing. I'm sure a transcript is online someplace.

    GP

    Godzilla Pimp, Feb 3, 2004
  16. Another reason for 911: Someone breaks into a house, the resident
    calls 911 but the intruder disconnects the call. 911 will have the
    address, the operator will not.

    George Grapman, Feb 3, 2004
  17. They don't, really - in fact Americans are the only country in the world to
    use the backwards date format - the rest of the world uses (correctly, in my
    mind) day/month/year, which is at least in ascending order. Month/day/year
    mizes up the order of things. So September 11th was 11/9. Month/day/year
    mizes up the order of things.

    James Calivar, Feb 3, 2004
  18. Shashay Doofray

    The Real Bev Guest

    The REAL correct way to express time is
    year/month/day/hour/minute/second. Whether the month or day comes first
    makes no real difference as long as the year comes last, you still have
    to do ugly sorts.

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    The Real Bev, Feb 3, 2004
  19. Shashay Doofray

    ben Guest

    That's funny. I have always thought the same thing and when I have the
    choice use the year/month/day format.

    regards,
    Ben

    ben, Feb 4, 2004
  20. Shashay Doofray

    Philippe Guest

    You are not the only one. I do the same for already decades. Especially when
    filing on a computer this comes in handy because all files are in
    chronological order.
    Within a project my filename convention is something like:
    "040204 - Order for new computer". Very practical if used consequently.
    Philippe

    Philippe, Feb 4, 2004