    absolute last resort for an ambulance. Calling them for the police is a
    joke. If I could "unsubscribe" to 911 service, I sure as hell would.

    SD

    Shashay Doofray, Feb 1, 2004

  2. The evolution thang, ya know. Can't fight it forever. When
    They already are, GP. They already are.

    SD

    Shashay Doofray, Feb 1, 2004

  3. I'm thinking of switching to VOIP for phone service but it doesn't offer 911
    emergency calling. This got me thinking about the origins of this expensive
    service.

    It used to be you'd have fire, police and ambulance numbers by your phone or
    programmed into your speed dial. No problemo. You call a number and tell the
    person on the other end what had happened and give them your address.

    But in our degenerating society, you can't count on people actually knowing
    their own addresses, being able to read a phone book or speaking coherent
    English. BTW, the 911 personnel on the other end (usually black women) often
    can't either.

    Thus, as usual, we adapt society to its lowest elements and we are all
    forced, literally, to pay the bill.

    BTW, I've only used 911 once. My car broke down on the highway and I called
    911 on my cell phone for a tow. They never showed up.

    GP

    Godzilla Pimp, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Speaking of low intelligence, 911 is not intended for towing your car.
    Why didn't you call the regular 7 digit number? Oh, you were away from home.
    End of argument.

    George Grapman, Feb 1, 2004
  5. How about a child reporting an emergency?

    George Grapman, Feb 1, 2004
  6. Frankly, I think it might be better if their trailer or housing project
    burned down. The evolution thang, ya know. Can't fight it forever. When
    civilization fianlly collapses, the pent-up supply of dumb people will be
    causing accidents all over the place.

    GP

    GP

    Godzilla Pimp, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Shashay Doofray

    ben Guest

    So if a person had clear preprogrammed and labeled buttons on their
    phone for "fire", "police" etc. that they could teach to a child then it
    wouldn't be necessary to have 911?

    regards,
    Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or
    connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

    ben, Feb 1, 2004
  8. Shashay Doofray

    lgreene Guest

    why are you all feeding the troll?

    lgreene, Feb 1, 2004
  9. Shashay Doofray

    Slinky Guest

    We keep the landline so that if, all the heathen gods forbid,
    something happens to either my husband or myself and we're home alone
    with the kiddo, he can dial 911 and not be required to recite his
    address during an emergency. Of course I don't expect this to happen,
    but we've drilled our son on doing this (using a dead phone), as well
    as on other emergency prodedures such as what to do if there's a fire
    in the house.

    Slinky, Feb 1, 2004
  10. Years ago one could dial "0" and tell the operator what you needed, in fact
    I once reported our barn on fire in just this manner. Today, however, the
    phone companies have cut back the use of live operators to the point that
    something else was needed. 911 seems to answer the need.

    David Hartung, Feb 1, 2004
  11. This from someone who thinks a car breaking down is a 9/11 emergency,

    George Grapman, Feb 1, 2004
  12. Shashay Doofray

    Mogie Guest

    911 is for emergencies only and not trivial things like calling for a tow
    truck. Those types of calls are one reason 911 costs as much as it does.

    Mogie, Feb 1, 2004
  13. GP

    Respons in comp.dcom.voice-over-ip only

    Professionally I do software for handling 112 calls in Denmark (like
    911).
    Our software uses as much information as it can get right from the call
    itself.
    Correct A-number handling is important. Large companies, with multiple
    addresses, are expected to be calling 112 from a fixed (pstn) line on
    each site, otherwise a call could be send to the wrong site/branch
    office.

    Information stands with intercoms in public places (train stations...)
    but looking like phones, are requested to have 112 capability.
    I would personally like to be sure I could diall 112 on any phone
    looking like a phone, no matter if it is a home, ISDN, pots, VoIP or a
    company phone.

    Read more about the European effords on
    http://www.eena.org/pages-en/index_en.htm

    And BTW, car troubles are also handled by 112 calls in Denmark.
    That is some, not all. If your or others safety are in danger like on
    bridges etc, you use 112.

    Christen Fihl, Feb 1, 2004
  14. ad hominem...i win

    Godzilla Pimp, Feb 1, 2004
  15. Sorry, if ad hominem disqualified you, your previous response already
    would have caused you to forfeit.

    Mark

    Mark VandeWettering, Feb 2, 2004
  16. No, George is correct, 911 is not designed for people who break down and
    want a tow truck, it is for people like my wife who, years ago, was home
    with 4 small children and someone tried to break into the house. The 911
    operator stayed on the phone with my wife until the police were at the front
    door. I have much respect for the Jackson Ms, Hinds County 911 service.

    David Hartung, Feb 2, 2004
  17. Shashay Doofray

    The Real Bev Guest

    Note: if you have disconnected your normal landline but still have the
    phone and wiring hooked up, you can still call 911 on it.

    My son just switched to a $20/month VOIP service (can't remember which)
    and is quite happy with it. It's busier in the evening and the voice
    quality is less, but the free LD enables his wife to chat with her
    sister on the other side of the counry as much as they want.

    The Real Bev, Feb 2, 2004
  18. Another reason for 9/11: Many people have Caller ID blocked when they make
    calls. Dial the 7 digit number and they won't know who is calling ,but one
    person here thinks that a 5 year old unable to give that information deserves to
    die.

    George Grapman, Feb 2, 2004
  19. I California if you call 9/11 from a cell it gets you the regional CHP center
    which will not have your location and may or may not have your phone number. This
    is changing so they will know the location of the nearest cell but nothing else.
    By the way, 911 added 28 cents to my last phone bill.

    George Grapman, Feb 2, 2004
  20. Shashay Doofray

    Bob Ward Guest

    No wonder. 911 isn't for road service.