IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PRW, Sep 10, 2006.

  1. PRW

    PRW Guest

    Hello, while I was at work tonight ... my wife called me in a frenzy to
    let me know what was happening ... our Dell computer, two months old,
    running Windows XP Media, gave the blue screen of death and did an
    IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL error and a physical memory dump. This happened
    spontaneously while my 8-year-old was on the computer playing
    Solitaire.

    My wife did right down what appeared on the screen before she shut the
    computer down. It said:

    STOP: 0x000000D1 (OxOOOOOOOC, Ox00000002, Ox00000000, 0xAA650F21)

    Portcls.sys -- Address AA650F21, base at AA650000, DateStamp 4057e49.

    I am aware this is a driver problem.

    I need some advice as to how to troubleshoot this driver problem, as in
    how should I go about tracking down and repairing what is wrong?

    FYI, I did download some new software to the computer night before
    last, a boxing game called Title Bout. It has substantial bells and
    whistles and graphics, etc., although as I noted my son was playing the
    regular Solitaire game that comes with Windows XP. Do I need to
    uninstall that?

    Also, I have a post on down the line about some difficulties with
    Norton Ghost that was affecting my system. I contacted Symantec on that
    and did what they told me to, and I'm no longer having the bootup
    problems but the software is still not working like it is supposed to,
    it's not creating any reference points at all because it thinks the
    backup part of my hard drive is full when it's not. I'm about ready to
    uninstall that and try the alternative that was suggested to me, but
    could this be causing my issue?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    PRW, Sep 10, 2006

  2. PRW

    Ron Martell Guest

    The error message does clearly identify Portcls.sys as the culprit in
    this instance. Portcls.sys is a Microsoft Windows XP component file
    that is used with sound cards.

    There is a possibility that your download may have replaced the file
    with an older version, but Windows XP should have detected this change
    and prevented it.

    As your machine is only 2 months old the Dell warranty should still be
    in effect so that is where you should start.

    As for your issues with Norton Ghost my personal opinion is that any
    problem of any kind on any computer that has any Norton/Symantec
    product installed is most likely caused by the Norton/Symantec
    product(s). Others will have different opinions.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)