    11/2 mins before the crash. The cpu HS is clean and fan running ok and the
    last bios cpu temp was 49C. I've heard this could also be a PS issue. Any
    ideas where to look next?

    Martik, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Martik

    Ron Martell Guest

    If a fan blowing directly on the heat sink keeps the computer running
    longer then it has go to be CPU overheating that is the cause of the
    problem.

    Remove the heatsink & fan from the CPU and make sure there is nothing
    (other than a heat sink pad or a light coating of heat sink compound)
    that interferes with with the contact between them. I have found
    some instances of CPUs where the assemblers have put factory labels
    onto the CPU and these have partially obstructed the contact between
    the heat sink and CPU.

    Make certain that the heatsink and fan are rated as being okay for
    your exact model and speed of CPU, and if you are overclocking the CPU
    at all then you need very much more cooling to compensate.

    And consider replacing the fan and heat sink with a new ball bearing
    model that is designed for your specific CPU model and speed. They
    are not that expensive.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --