    mild editor.

    There are also plugin extensions for things like Real Audio files.
    (not streaming)

    Joel Rubin, Aug 22, 2004

  2. Joel Rubin

    D Guest

    If you just click through the installer it puts an eBay icon on your desktop that
    has a referer URL, also an eBay toolbar. Should this now be classed as some sort
    of adware?

    D, Aug 22, 2004

  3. Joel Rubin

    Pennywise Guest

    |>> http://www.irfanview.com/
    |>>
    |>> It is a free-for-personal-use graphics viewer/format converter, and
    |>> mild editor.
    |>>
    |>> There are also plugin extensions for things like Real Audio files.
    |>> (not streaming)
    |>>

    |>If you just click through the installer it puts an eBay icon on your desktop that
    |>has a referer URL, also an eBay toolbar. Should this now be classed as some sort
    |>of adware?

    Now it makes sense, I came across a key generator for IrfanView 3.91,
    couldn't understand why you'd need one.

    Pennywise, Aug 22, 2004
  4. It didn't for me

    Aussie Bomber, Aug 23, 2004
  5. I've sure never heard anything about that, and Irfan has a superb
    reputation. Are you sure you didn't pick up a dose of something that
    left that stuff, and not notice exactly when it appeared?

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 23, 2004
  6. Joel Rubin

    Stevo Guest

    I wonder if it somethng to do with where the file is downloaded from?

    Running the intallation (got the download via Tucows) here, gave the option
    to install the ebay shortcut and toolbar on the first screen, but
    deselecting those options stopped it happening, no big deal really. But as
    the OP said, just clicking (next) through the installation would result in
    the desktop icon and toolbar being installed. Not sure I would put Irfanview
    in the Adware pigeonhole just for that...

    Stevo, Aug 23, 2004
  7. Okay, I withdraw my earlier post that the OP had installed something
    else that had done this, and not noticed it at the time. Instead, I
    propose that one should read what he's doing when in installs software,
    before he clicks stuff. :)
    I wouldn't if it's optional and requires user to opt in (as long as the
    software, if that offer is NOT accepted, remains uncrippled in terms of
    what it's actual functions are supposed to be).

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 23, 2004
  8. Joel Rubin

    Sunny Guest

    Strange that the authors site doesn't mention anything about Ver 3.92 ?
    As at 1600hr 23 Aug 04 :
    "Version 3.91 ( - CURRENT VERSION - ) (Release date: 01.05.2004)

    Sunny, Aug 23, 2004
  9. Joel Rubin

    Stevo Guest

    http://www.irfanview.com has a link to 'Download the current version @
    tucows'

    that takes you to the Irfanview V3.92 page at Tucows... the Irfanview
    download link does the same...

    Maybe the main page hasn't been updated..

    Stevo, Aug 23, 2004
  10. Joel Rubin

    Sunny Guest

    Thanks, odd that the author hasn't listed what changes have been made
    though.

    Sunny, Aug 23, 2004
  11. Joel Rubin

    Stevo Guest

    True.. but maybe just busy.. I sure don't have his number to call him and
    ask.. :cool:

    Stevo, Aug 23, 2004
  12. Joel Rubin

    Polk Guest

    it is now adware! ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Polk, Aug 23, 2004
  13. Joel Rubin

    Polk Guest

    It is now adware!

    Polk, Aug 23, 2004
  14. Oh, for heaven's sake; spare the drama *and* get some facts.

    The two addditions mentioned only appear if USER OPTS (that means
    "CHOOSES")to install them. Anyone who can't see these checkboxes isn't
    very good at installing software -- it's not like they're hidden:

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/irfan.jpg

    Big as day.

    User's choice.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 23, 2004
  15. On 23 Aug 2004, Polk wrote
    In what way? I don't have any ads showing at all with it.

    (I unticked the "ebay" boxes on the installation page, if that's what
    you mean: those ads seem to be optional.)

    Harvey Van Sickle, Aug 23, 2004
  16. User choice on installation. Harvey, see link to image of clearly
    marked OPT-IN checkboxes for the items mentioned in this false scare,
    posted to one of "Polk"'s hysterical posts a few minutes ago.
    Okay, then my prior paragraph is for the rest of the Can't Read A
    Checkbox Label Crowd, not you. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 23, 2004
  17. On 23 Aug 2004, Sunny wrote
    The changes are listed on one of the install pages; odd that they're
    not on the website.

    Harvey Van Sickle, Aug 23, 2004
  18. [/QUOTE]

    re: the most recent Irfanview
    -snip-

    A minor point, but they were definitely "untick" boxes in the one I
    installed -- not that it matters a jot to me, since it (a) lets anybody
    who pays attention to what's being installed on their machines avoid
    the add-on toolbarss; and (b) doesn't nag you to put them in.

    In my books it remains a wonderful piece of pure freeware,
    notwithstanding opt-in/out toolbars.

    Harvey Van Sickle, Aug 23, 2004

  19. Direct from http://www.irfanview.com/main_history.htm

    Version 3.92 ( - CURRENT VERSION - ) (Release date: 2004-08-20)

    a.. New JPG option: Auto-rotate image according to EXIF info
    (Properties->JPG)

    b.. New advanced batch options: Set long/short side, load/save settings

    c.. New options for DigiCam RAW formats (Properties->PlugIns)

    d.. New options for multipage extract (View->Multipage images)

    e.. Option to use eBay search in the toolbar (Properties->Misc 3)

    [snip]

    Oxford Systems, Aug 23, 2004
  20. Joel Rubin

    Sunny Guest