Ipoint.exe with Ergonomic 4000 KB - mandatory?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ergohugo, Oct 14, 2007.

  1. ergohugo

    ergohugo Guest

    I just loaded the software for the Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 USB keyboard
    as my previous keyboard is malfunctioning after cleaning it with a few
    drops of water last night.

    To my dismay, running the Ergonomic 4000 means adding Ipoint.exe and
    Itype.exe as startup programs. Even though I'm using a Logitech mouse,
    the software insisited on loading the Ipoint program in addition to the
    Itype. The total of the two uses about 15 mg of ram. In addition, it add
    the Hidserv service (hidserv.exe) in services for audio control.

    Now I know that if I disable Itype, I can't use any of the advanced
    features of the keyboard, so I'll keep that running.

    However, do I really need Ipoint.exe running? I've discovered that it's
    taken over my mouse controls. As a left handed person, I have the buttons
    set for the opposite usual functions. It seems that whenever I try to
    adjust the mouse functions through the control panel, Ipoint.exe starts
    again. If I close it, the mouse buttons revert to their default.

    Can I uninstall Ipoint.exe and leave the Itype program?
    How do I revert my mouse controls to the MS default program? Is it just a
    matter of uninstalling Ipoint, rebooting, and the OS will just recognize
    the USB mouse and install the correct driver?

    ergohugo, Oct 14, 2007

  2. wrote:

    You can't eat the cake without paying the price.
    Or, in clear words:
    "You are assimilated, resistence is futile"
    You may try to find ipoint.exe in your task manager/process view, kill it,
    and have a look if your keyboard still works. If yes, try to find and
    rename the ipoint.exe. Do not forget to set a system restore point
    beforehands.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 15, 2007