Ipod battery only lasts 18months?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O., Nov 28, 2003.

  1. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Nov 28, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    Mark Donovan Guest

    Mark Donovan, Nov 28, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Nov 28, 2003
  4. T.N.O. wrote:
    > http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

    Big surprise. Rechargable batteries always have a rather limited life. NO
    products are immune from this!

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 28, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bq6pf2$pin$>, says...
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    > > http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

    > Big surprise. Rechargable batteries always have a rather limited life. NO
    > products are immune from this!

    About 500 cycles is the typical figure for Nicad and I think NiMH. If you
    charge it every day, it will indeed last only 18 months.

    Mainlander, Nov 28, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    Peter Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:33:14 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <bq6pf2$pin$>, says...
    >> T.N.O. wrote:
    >> > http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

    >> Big surprise. Rechargable batteries always have a rather limited life. NO
    >> products are immune from this!

    >About 500 cycles is the typical figure for Nicad and I think NiMH. If you
    >charge it every day, it will indeed last only 18 months.

    Trouble is that firms get too smart and cute in packaging batteries so
    they are expensive or even impossible to replace. Time for
    standardisation.

    Peter, Nov 28, 2003
  7. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:33:14 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    > >> Big surprise. Rechargable batteries always have a rather limited life. NO
    > >> products are immune from this!

    > >About 500 cycles is the typical figure for Nicad and I think NiMH. If you
    > >charge it every day, it will indeed last only 18 months.

    > Trouble is that firms get too smart and cute in packaging batteries so
    > they are expensive or even impossible to replace. Time for
    > standardisation.

    Take it to a repacking shop, they are usually pretty good

    Mainlander, Nov 28, 2003
  8. In <> Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:33:14 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <bq6pf2$pin$>,
    >> >says...

    >> >About 500 cycles is the typical figure for Nicad and I think NiMH.
    >> >If you charge it every day, it will indeed last only 18 months.

    >> Trouble is that firms get too smart and cute in packaging batteries
    >> so they are expensive or even impossible to replace. Time for
    >> standardisation.

    > Take it to a repacking shop, they are usually pretty good

    They're unlikely to be able to do anything, as the iPod uses a lithium
    polymer battery about the same size as the iPod case but only a few
    millimetres thick. The good news is that it is a "standard" Sony battery
    i.e. it's not made especially for the iPod, which is why a couple of
    other companies are selling replacements already.

    Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/

    Roger Johnstone, Nov 28, 2003
  9. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

    > Big surprise. Rechargable batteries always have a rather limited life. NO
    > products are immune from this!

    yeah, but what a way to get the info out there.

    T.N.O., Nov 29, 2003