IP redirect ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by LLFF, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. LLFF

    LLFF Guest

    Hi all !

    Who can please give me simple explanations about IP ICMP REDIRECT ? How
    does it work ?

    I don't understand this explanation on Cisco website :

    "Usage Guidelines
    An ICMP redirect message can be generated by a router when a packet is
    received and transmitted on the same interface. In this situation, the
    router will forward the original packet and send a ICMP redirect
    message back to the sender of the original packet. This behavior allows
    the sender to bypass the router and forward future packets directly to
    the destination (or a router closer to the destination).
    There are two types of ICMP redirect messages: redirect for a host
    address or redirect for an entire subnet.
    The ip icmp redirect command determines the type of ICMP redirects sent
    by the system and is configured on a per system basis. Some hosts do
    not understand ICMP subnet redirects and need the router to send out
    ICMP host redirects. Use the ip icmp redirect host command to have the
    router send out ICMP host redirects. Use the ip icmp redirect subnet
    command to set the value back to the default, which is to send subnet
    redirects.
    To prevent the router from sending ICMP redirects, use the no ip
    redirects interface configuration command"

    Thanks !!!

    LLFF, Sep 20, 2005

  2. LLFF

    Merv Guest

    ICMP redirects attempt to get a host system (as an example) to send its
    packets to the "best" gateway (read router) to get to a particular
    destination.

    If a host sned a packet to router A and router A has to send it to
    router B that is on the same segment, then router A "knows" that the
    host is not sending its packet to the best gateway and it send a ICMP
    redirect to the host as a hint that it really should be using router B
    instead.

    Merv, Sep 20, 2005

  3. LLFF

    avagrant Guest