    hundred times, applied the winsock fix, but I cannot get past this. Is there
    something I am missing?

    Thanks

    Guest, May 17, 2005

  2. Guest

    Malke Guest

    The 169.254.xxx.xx IP address indicates that your machine is expecting
    to get an IP address from a DHCP server and is not finding one. How are
    you getting online? Cable/dsl or dialup? Check to make sure your
    wireless router is set to provide DHCP.

    Malke

    Malke, May 17, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm using a motorola router with a cable modem connection. There are
    currently 5 other devices working fine on the network. When I disconnect the
    adapter after uninstalling and reinstalling, there is a long pause and then
    nothing as far as an IP address. Thanks for the reply.

    Poppa Earl

    Guest, May 17, 2005
  4. Guest

    Malke Guest

    The long pause is because the adapter is looking for a DHCP server, not
    finding one, and timing out. Look in your router settings to make sure
    you aren't limited to only 5 connections. My original Linksys router
    (many years ago) was set to only provide 5 connections. If this isn't
    the case, I'd look at the older usb wireless adapter as the possible
    cause. You can a) test it in another machine; or b) try a different
    wireless adapter in your machine. Maybe it is just a case of the
    hardware needing to be replaced.

    Malke

    Malke, May 17, 2005