    I have an interface configured with two IPs, one private IP and one public IP. I want just the public IP to be advertised by the routing protocol.
    I'd like to use NAT so that devices having private IPs can access the devices on the other side of router without being advertised. Can I do this?
    Any help is appreciated.

    gocoolb4u, Jul 24, 2008

  2. gocoolb4u

    anilkarthik

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    india
    hi

    1 i cant understand u r question
    2 there r 2 interface ,in interface 1 public ip and interface 2 private ip
    where do u want the second ip to configure in interface 1 r in in terface 2 in both ways it can be done

    regards
    karthik

    anilkarthik, Jul 28, 2008

  3. gocoolb4u

    gocoolb4u

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey Karthik,
    I'd like to configure two IP addresses on the same interface say interface 1.
    ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0
    ip address y.y.y.y 255.255.255.0 secondary
    x.x.x.x is private IP
    y.y.y.y is public IP
    now my question is: Can I do NATing for just the private IP? I'd like to advertise the public IP through some routing protocol and make it accessible from anywhere and at the same time employ NAT for private IP.

    gocoolb4u, Jul 28, 2008
  4. gocoolb4u

    MunchBC

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    By "public" and "private" IPs are you referring to your internal and external gateways?

    MunchBC, Jul 29, 2008
  5. gocoolb4u

    gocoolb4u

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes. I have two sets of devices out of which one set will have 'private' internal address and the other set will have 'public' global addresses. these two sets of devices are connected to a router's interface on which two IP addresses are configured to route the traffic beween the two sets and also to the outside world. I'd like to know if I can employ NAT on the router's interface.

    gocoolb4u, Jul 29, 2008
  6. gocoolb4u

    MunchBC

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    From what I've read up on, it is possible to NAT only a portion of a network without affecting the other hosts. For your second question (will the NATed host's IPs remain hidden even when communicating with the public IP-assigned hosts on the network) all instincts tell me yes. Seeing as how any traffic outbound from any host will need to pass through the router/switch before going anywhere. I haven't had much experience configuring NAT tables, but I did find this site that gives a pretty darn thorough rundown of what you can and can't do with NAT. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/cisco/40.1_NAT_VPN_ACL_CBAC_Firewall

    Hope it helps! Good luck.

    MunchBC, Jul 31, 2008
  7. gocoolb4u

    gocoolb4u

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for your reply. That was a good site but it did not talk about configuring multiple IP addresses (private and public) on the same interface. So are you saying that I can NAT only a portion without affecting other hosts?

    gocoolb4u, Aug 1, 2008
  8. gocoolb4u

    MunchBC

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    Yes, you should be able to.

    MunchBC, Aug 2, 2008
  9. gocoolb4u

    gocoolb4u

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Alright. I will give it a try. Can I use a routing protocol and advertise just the public subnet?

    gocoolb4u, Aug 4, 2008