    to VLAN's 2 and 3.

    Still nothing - Help! :)

    Thanks,

    Gary Williams, Oct 31, 2004

  2. Gary Williams

    Brian V Guest

    The 2900xl is a layer 2 switch only. You cannot route vlans on the 2900. On
    your router (that you have trunked) to the 2900 is where you would put the
    ip-helper command.

    Brian V, Oct 31, 2004

  3. Gary Williams

    PES Guest

    The 2900XL is not a router. You need to put your ip helper-address on
    the the router that routes between the vlan's. The vlan interfaces on
    the 2900xl are for management only not routing.

    PES, Oct 31, 2004
  4. :The 2900xl is a layer 2 switch only. You cannot route vlans on the 2900. On
    :your router (that you have trunked) to the 2900 is where you would put the
    :ip-helper command.
    :

    Cheers,

    That's what I figured which is why I was surprised to find the IP HELPER-ADDRESS
    command listed in the VLAN sub-interface configuration section.

    Gary Williams, Oct 31, 2004
  5. The IOS the Catalyst XL series switches run are scaled down from the
    router IOS, so there are lots of L3 commands and such in the switch
    that were not removed but don't really do anything in terms of L2
    switching. It can be somewhat confusing if you are searching for a
    solution to an issue on the switch.

    Robert B. Phillips, II, Oct 31, 2004