    other common format. This would be a simple home device nothing fancy
    or feature laden or exspensive. No need for a monitor or keyboard or
    hard drive. This is for home use. Does such a device exist?

    Stephen Balbach, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Stephen Balbach

    chris Guest

    I have seen some software for the PC that used the modem as the
    answering machine. I don't recall the name at the moment. I've also
    seen some open-source software for Linux that did essentially the same
    thing, but using a dialogic board.

    -Chris

    chris, Dec 25, 2003

  3. Stephen Balbach

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    I've been using Asterisk on Linux with a $100 digium board for quite a while
    now. Works very well, emails my voice mails to me, allows me to determine
    which callers get through and which ones get dumped straight to voice mail,
    etc.

    However it's definitely not a turnkey setup. As my first foray into
    Asterisk, it took a bit of work.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Stephen Balbach

    SteveS Guest

    I use IVM it is a great software package that does all of your required
    functions and more. As long as you don't mind the canned ausssie accent I
    think it is well worth it. It cost around $50 US. The company is called NCH
    Swift Sound

    SteveS, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Stephen Balbach

    Stacy E Guest

    Another option may be an online service ...again, you would be esentially
    using your computer (or via your computer), but it might give you some
    flexibility. I don't know of one to recommend, but I have seen them out
    there.

    Stacy E, Dec 27, 2003