    is working properly. However, when I do the run command and type in ipconfig
    /all, no IP addresses show up.

    So what is the next step to try and resolve this issue?

    K-Bob, Jan 7, 2010

  2. K-Bob

    John Guest

    Try one of the following:
    - ipconfig /renew
    - restart PC

    John, Jan 7, 2010

  3. K-Bob

    K-Bob Guest

    From the cmd prompt, I entered ipconfig /renew then exited the screen and
    restarted the PC and then did a ipconfig /all and this is what came up:
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name: D3584CB1
    Primary Dns Suffix: (it was blank)
    Mode Type: Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Media State: Media Disconnected
    Physical Address: 00-21-91-1C-C5-9F
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Media State: Media Disconnected
    Physical Address: 00-16-76-9A-B2-E5

    Still no IP addresses showing up!! Any other suggestions.
    K-Bob

    K-Bob, Jan 7, 2010
  4. K-Bob

    Lem Guest

    You won't get any IP addresses if your adapters are disconnected, and
    that's what "Media Disconnected" means.

    Your post is unclear. Remember, we can't see what you have. You start
    off talking about a "desktop PC" and then refer to the wireless adapter
    installed "in tower." Is the tower the same as the desktop?

    You write that you "checked TCP/IP properties and all of the IP
    addresses are the same as before." For which adapter? And what are
    these "IP addresses"? Did you set this adapter to have a static IP address?

    If you are attempting to connect wirelessly from the computer for which
    you provided the ipconfig /all results, your wireless adapter is
    probably powered off (it will still report that it is "working
    properly"). Check the adapter's properties and/or read its User Guide.

    BTW, how did you determine that the router was working OK if you can't
    connect to it?

    Lem, Jan 7, 2010
  5. K-Bob

    K-Bob Guest

    The wireless adapter is installed in the tower of the desktop PC. I had to
    take the cover off of the tower to originally install this adapter. There is
    only one adapter.

    The Internet Protocol Properties are:
    IP address: 192.168.0.10
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

    DNS Server Addresses:
    Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
    Alternate DNS Server: 75.0.201.137

    The D-Link support technician stated that the lights that were displayed on
    the unit indicated the router was functioning properly and if there were no
    IP addresses showing up when I executed the run prompt cmd, ipconfig, then
    that indicated the problem might be with the harddrive (tower, desktop,
    whatever you want to call it).

    I will attempt to take the cover off of the tower and take out and put back
    in the adapter and see if that does anything until I get further guidance
    from someone in the community.
    Thanks -- K-Bob

    K-Bob, Jan 7, 2010
  6. K-Bob

    Lem Guest

    You still haven't cleared things up.

    From the ipconfig info you posted earlier, there are *two* adapters
    associated with your desktop PC (aka tower) -- one wired and one
    wireless (i.e., "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection" and
    "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection").

    There is no need to take the cover off yet. Instead, do the following:

    Open a Command Prompt window and type the following:

    Type the following commands and press the Enter key after each of them:

    set comp > c:\test.txt
    ipconfig /all >> c:\test.txt
    notepad c:\test.txt

    Then paste *all* of the contents into your reply.

    Also, please answer the following:

    - Is this computer physically connected to the router with an Ethernet
    cable?

    - What did you do to "reset" the router?

    - Does your new laptop successfully connect to the router? By wire or
    wireless?

    Lem, Jan 7, 2010
  7. K-Bob

    John Guest

    Here's what I think your problem is:

    You have 2 network adapters:
    - a wired adapter: Intel PRO/100 VE
    - a wireless adapter: D-Link WDA-2320

    The wired adapter is functioning. It's configured with a static IP (shown
    below) but it isn't plugged in to your router. Therefore you see "Media
    Disconnected".

    The wireless adapter isn't functioning because you didn't install the
    correct driver for it or for some other reasons.

    Check your Device Manager. Make sure D-Link WDA-2320 WiFi adapter is using
    the correct driver and functioning.

    John, Jan 7, 2010
  8. K-Bob

    John Guest

    Correction
    Perhaps your wireless adapter is functioning but has a problem joining your
    wireless network.

    John, Jan 8, 2010
  9. K-Bob

    K-Bob Guest

    PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
    It turned out that it WAS the adapter installed in the "tower". I took it
    out and reinstalled it and rebooted the PC and the 2 green lights on the
    adapter came on. So I am back to running wireless with the desktop and my
    new laptop.

    Thanks a bunch for your assistance. When you mentioned the fact that IP
    addresses were not showing because of the adapter it sent me off in the right
    direction.

    K-Bob, Jan 8, 2010