IP Address, MX Record, A Record Question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by K.J. 44, Sep 6, 2006.

  1. K.J. 44

    K.J. 44 Guest

    Hi,

    This is kind of a dumb question but I want to see if I can do this. I
    have a single server running my domain and my exchange server. I have
    a name for it inside the company, say server1.mydomain.com

    Now when I create an MX record, do I have to use the
    server1.mydomain.com, or can I just create an MX record for
    mail.mydomain.com, then an A record to reflect the IP address of
    mail.mydomain.com to the same IP as server1.mydomain.com. Though the
    server is not named mail.mydomain.com, the records will still point to
    the same IP.

    This will work won't it?

    So what I would have is my mail.myserver.com A record point to a public
    IP that is static NAT to the internal server.

    Thanks in advance.

    K.J. 44, Sep 6, 2006

  2. K.J. 44

    Chad Mahoney Guest

    K.J. 44 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is kind of a dumb question but I want to see if I can do this. I
    > have a single server running my domain and my exchange server. I have
    > a name for it inside the company, say server1.mydomain.com
    >
    > Now when I create an MX record, do I have to use the
    > server1.mydomain.com, or can I just create an MX record for
    > mail.mydomain.com, then an A record to reflect the IP address of
    > mail.mydomain.com to the same IP as server1.mydomain.com. Though the
    > server is not named mail.mydomain.com, the records will still point to
    > the same IP.
    >
    > This will work won't it?
    >
    > So what I would have is my mail.myserver.com A record point to a public
    > IP that is static NAT to the internal server.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Sounds good to me... You may want to change the name on your SMTP
    connector to reflect the A record you are creating.

    Chad Mahoney, Sep 6, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    K.J. 44 <> wrote:
    >This is kind of a dumb question but I want to see if I can do this. I
    >have a single server running my domain and my exchange server. I have
    >a name for it inside the company, say server1.mydomain.com

    >Now when I create an MX record, do I have to use the
    >server1.mydomain.com, or can I just create an MX record for
    >mail.mydomain.com, then an A record to reflect the IP address of
    >mail.mydomain.com to the same IP as server1.mydomain.com. Though the
    >server is not named mail.mydomain.com, the records will still point to
    >the same IP.

    >This will work won't it?

    Yes, as long as you do it that way. The host named in an MX record
    must not be a CNAME, so don't try

    mail.mydomain.com IN CNAME server1.mydomain.com

    but it is quite valid to have multiple A records that have the same IP.

    Note, however, that especially if it is your outgoing mail server,
    then hosts will do reverse DNS on the address, and some of them
    might complain if the names do not match. You're probably fine as long
    as the forward and reverse are in the same subdomain, but if they
    are in completely different domains then various anti-spam systems
    would refuse the email.

    Walter Roberson, Sep 6, 2006