    configure sub interfaces using ISL encapsulation for VLANs.

    Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

    Brad Cleghorn

    Brad Cleghorn, Jul 14, 2003

  2. :I have a 3640 currently running IOS Version 12.2(17) with 8MB of flash. I
    :need to know what version of IOS will fit in 8MB, and also allow me to
    :configure sub interfaces using ISL encapsulation for VLANs.

    Feature Navigator to the rescue...

    Perhaps the information is wrong there, but 12.1(5b) PLUS is listed
    as requiring only 8 Mb of flash. Other than that, you have to go
    back to 12.0(27) PLUS

    Ah, there is an alternative. If you switch over to IP/IPX/AT/DEC
    anything in 12.2 or 12.2T would fit.

    Walter Roberson, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Brad Cleghorn

    chris Guest

    A CompactFlash card would be cheaper than upgrading the internal
    flash (64MB for under $20, new). An easier option is to configure the
    router to load it's IOS from a TFTP server.

    Also, check if you have adequate RAM as vlan tagging will increase
    ram usage a bit. The 3640 takes relatively inexpensive fpm dimms (ie
    pc type memory).

    -Chris

    chris, Jul 15, 2003
  4. Thanks, that's exactly what I needed.

    Brad

    Smey

    Brad Cleghorn, Jul 15, 2003