    Can one run IOS SLB (or a smaller variant) on, say, a 2950 series switch?

    Regards,
    -Tiaan.

    Guest, Sep 19, 2005

  2. Guest

    Falk Stern Guest

    As far as the Cisco Website goes, it is only supported on 7200 Routers
    or Catalyst 6500 Switches (or 7600 Routers, which have the same hardware)
    (according to
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/
    121t/121t5/iosslb5t.htm#1015343 )
    SLB would have to run on a router, Cat6k support it, because of the
    MSFC, which _is_ a router.
    No. You will need a router for this. Another "cheap" possibility would
    be a Linux Server with ipvs installled
    (http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/)

    Have a nice day,

    Falk

    Falk Stern, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Guest

    Per Heldal Guest

    SLB, regardless of vendor, is a feature that require routing-
    capabilities. Although devices may be optimised for a certain function it
    is a general rule that a box with a certain feature need to implement some
    form of all functions below this feature in the protocol stack. Thus, you
    won't find ethernet switches (L2) that implement SLB-features (L4+) unless
    they also support basic path-selection and packet-forwarding (L3)
    functions. Cisco's Cat6k does support SLB though its MSFC which is a
    router, in fact the same route-processor you'll find in some of their
    72xx/75xx/76xx boxes.

    //Per

    Per Heldal, Sep 20, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    Aha... so I can run IOS SLB on a 2600-series router with two ethernet
    interfaces? (See, I used to use Alteons for this functionality, hence the
    reason I was looking at switches).
    *nod* I've looked at this as a possible solution, but IOS SLB has some very
    specific functionality on the UDP side that we need.

    Regards,
    -Tiaan.

    Guest, Sep 20, 2005