    want to spend a lot on memory upgrades. Would be nice to plug in the memory
    I have for the unit and have it tell me what is available for it.

    Scott<-

    Scott Townsend, Apr 2, 2007

  2. No. You can't plug in what memory you have. Experience gives you a
    good gauge about it. Ie. If you see you don't have enough memory for
    the base level, back down a minor level (ie. 12.3 to 12.2) and try again.

    Memory for older routers isn't all that bad from 3rd party vendors.
    If you are too far out of memory requirements for the base level, then
    you probably have a really old router.

    Of course, once you get to the feature-full T trains or huge feature
    sets, you had better be maxed-out on RAM/Flash even for the newest
    routers.

    Doug McIntyre, Apr 3, 2007

  3. Thank you for your reply.

    I guess I could look for RAM for the units. Yes some are pretty old, like
    the 4500-m. (should I mention I have a 4000 on the shelf?)

    All the routers are working fine, I just thought I'd get them up to
    something close. A few are runing v10.x THe Images I've looked are are all
    much bigger then what I have. I've gone to the 'library' archive and many of
    them are all too big too... )-:

    Thanks again.

    Scott Townsend, Apr 3, 2007
  4. Yes, those are pretty ancient routers.

    But, the DRAM memory for them shold be dirt cheap. Flash not so much.

    Ie. your 4500M can take 64M, and that kit is $40 from MemoryX.
    But, the 16M Flash SIMM is $100 each if you want to get two to max it out.
    You probably have enough shared memory already.

    Overall, $240 isn't that bad to upgrade memory, especially compared to
    what Cisco used to charge for the upgrades.

    You could upgrade your 4000 even if you wanted.

    But, the returns on any of this is questionable. I'd say that
    something a bit more modern would do you better if you wanted to learn
    newer cisco tech. Ie. I don't plan on upgrading my 7000 any time soon :)

    Doug McIntyre, Apr 3, 2007