    contract.

    This seems unreal to me. Cisco can't sell their own product to me?
    What are my options here?

    nathanjovin, Nov 16, 2006

  2. You have no realistic options. The last day to start a new service
    contract for a 2620 was April 26, 2004. You are too late even to
    "relicense" the device into your ownership (cisco part # LL26C= about
    $US300). If had been the owner of record, then Cisco -might- have
    been willing to sell you the 12.3 IOS IP CD as a one-time purchase.

    You could always go back to them and ask whether they would accept
    a relicense and then an IOS purchase, but be aware that the price
    would likely be about $US700 for the combination.

    If your device is really a 2620XM instead of a 2620 then you
    are much more likely to be allowed to relicense.

    It is too late for you now, but could you let us know where you
    checked (before your purchase) to see whether you were going to be
    entitled to use and upgrade the software? We consistantly warn people,
    but as you must not have seen the warnings, it appears that there
    are more places we should post the warnings to so that others will
    avoid the problem in the future.

    Walter Roberson, Nov 16, 2006

  3. www.BradReese.Com, Nov 16, 2006
  4. nathanjovin

    Houston SBC Guest

    Well I see Cisco loves em lawyers. Really reminds me of DEC. Yea many people
    have already forgotten them, but they used to be the number 2 computer
    manufacturer. Before their demise- same legal mumbo jumbo. Cisco makes a
    fine product, but their sales and legal departments have not learned from
    history.

    All their legal mumbo jumbo keeps inventive folks from using/playing with
    their equipment and improving upon it.
    Offshoring their engineering to a culture that has educated people-but not
    inventive, is not going to keep them in the lead. Need I mention Foundry,
    etc.

    So what if someone has used equipment.... They learn and may see features
    that could be implemented, enhanced, etc. I f Cisco starts the not invented
    her creedo, they are doomed to failure. Used equipment should be out
    there--how else do the people that push Cisco learn to use it? No $10,000
    diploma factories for me. If it's a manufacturers certification--it's
    useless. Doctors, lawyers, Professional Engineers are not certified by
    Pharmacy's, Legal Firms, and Engineering companies. They are certified by an
    unbiased State Agency. We have the Fox guarding the Chicken Ranch with
    Cisco, Microsoft, etc. It's laughable.

    Houston SBC, Nov 16, 2006
  5. nathanjovin

    Chad Mahoney Guest

    You want some cheese with that wine?

    Chad Mahoney, Nov 16, 2006
  6. Houston SBC,

    Understand your point.

    Cisco CEO John Chambers earlier worked at Wang Laboratories and is very
    aware that highly successful companies can still fail.

    Not wishing to repeat the mistakes he learned while working at Wang,
    Mr. Chambers established the Cisco Authorized Refurbished Equipment
    Program:

    http://www.cisco.com/web/ordering/c...refurbished_equipment_high_level_listing.html

    View List Pricing and Inventory Availability that is updated daily on
    the over 2,000 line items in the Cisco Authorized Refurbished Equipment
    Program:

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-inventory-search.htm

    Keep in mind, all Cisco Authorized Refurbished Equipment is Fully
    Licensed and SMARTnet Eligible with Warranties Same As New.

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    Cisco Technical Forums
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-technical-newsgroups.htm

    www.BradReese.Com, Nov 16, 2006
  7. nathanjovin

    Drake Guest

    Brad,

    The Cisco Authorized Refurbished Equipment Program is good for
    businesses trying to economize by using used equipment. But I think
    Houston SBC's point is why make it so difficult to legally get software
    for equiment that is no longer supported by CISCO, such as the
    2500 series routers? This equipment is mainly used by people practising
    for Cisco certification.

    This restrictive policy is pushing people into illegally downloading ios
    software using P2P sites and Russian ftp sites. There is even a program
    called ioshunter to help with this task.

    Drake, Nov 17, 2006
  8. nathanjovin

    Blaz Zupan Guest

    Just search through your favourite online Cisco reseller and buy the smallest
    and cheapest packaged Smartnet you can get for any Cisco device that is still
    supported. I think the ones for 800 series or 1700 series routers are rather
    cheap, get the 8x5xNBD (8 hours a day, 5 days a week, next business day), but
    you can get one for the 2600 as well. Finding out which one it is is the
    hardest part, I can never find the list of Smartnet categories and which
    device belongs to which category.

    All you receive is a box with a couple of papers that contain the code you need
    to signup for Smartnet. To register you need a serial number of one of those
    devices for which the Smartnet contract is meant (of course for one that has
    not yet been registered).

    After you register you will be able to download any IOS for any device from the
    800 series up to the 12K.

    Screw Cisco.

    Blaz Zupan, Nov 19, 2006
  9. Cisco logs IOS downloads. If you download an IOS that you are not
    entitled to, Cisco has the ability to determine that from their logs.

    Sorry, my tastes don't run that way.

    Downloading an IOS you are not entitled to would be theft; is a
    used 2620 really worth going to jail over?

    Walter Roberson, Nov 19, 2006