    disk (even temporarily) or a reputable data restoration outfit that
    doesn't charge a pound of flesh?

    Thanks!

    Hockey Buff, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Hockey Buff

    °Mike° Guest

    You mean your "most sacred data files" are not
    worth a pound of flesh?

    °Mike°, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Hockey Buff

    Ghostrider Guest

    Ontrack may some some solutions. Take a look here:

    http://www.ontrack.com/software/

    Some of this stuff used to be free; some demo versions
    may still be around. But how much is the data worth?

    And, BTW, having a backup means that there are always
    *two* copies of the data in existence and a good backup
    strategy means using 2 different types of media.

    Ghostrider, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Hockey Buff

    Russ Guest

    Russ, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Hockey Buff

    Ray Guest

    Got any friends that have a zip 250 also? If so try it on their drive, and
    see if you get the same problem. I've seen it before where it won't read on
    one drive, but it will on another one.

    Ray, Aug 28, 2004
  6. Hockey Buff

    Robert Guest

    You trust your Data to be safe on a Zip disk? lol
    You fool! Can't remember how many of those I repaired back then but there
    were plenty. If you want something cheap to store your data then get an MO
    drive. They cost more to purchase, are slower but a lot safer than a Zip
    drive plus they last a lot longer too and the media is cheaper.

    Concerning your problem all I can guess is that either the drive has a
    problem or the cartridge is fscked. Where did you store it? Was a big
    magnet somewhere near the disk? Was it exposed to extreme temperature
    differences or sun light? How old is the disk and how often has it been
    used for back ups?

    Robert, Aug 28, 2004
  7. Hockey Buff

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Aug 28, 2004
  8. Hockey Buff

    GPTDesign

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    You are Not alone on sudden Zip Failure!

    I have not found out why this has happened but it occurred after one of Microsoft's larger critical updates. They also issued a "Stealth Update" which cause system problems (article on PC World). I have 3 computers / 6 different Iomega Zip drives and had used a dozen or more disks with data stored on them. All of a sudden all of my 250 mb Zip disks would not read at all. They would not read on any of the Zip Drives (on 250 mb drives or 750 mb drives) so I know it is not due to drive failure. It cannot be a Zip disk failure as I had 5 disks on the 250mb zip type and all 5 disks suddenly do not read on any of the 6 zip drives. It leaves me to believe that the only answer to the problem is that the automatic updates which did get installed on all of my computers the same day caused the 250 mb zip disks to no longer read. Get message that the "disk is not formatted" or that the drive does not even see the disk is in the drive. If you have any luck finding a patch for the problem please contact me. Iomega site did not show any thing relivant to a sudden outbreak of the problem but they probably do not care as long as they still sell products. Their support site is poor. I have not searched Microsofts site but they are likely the cause of the problem. I have always found zip disks to be excellent on dependability and easy to use. I guess now I have to figure out 2 alternate sources of backups. Zip 750 disks and 100 mb disks still all work fine on my Zip Drives but the 250 disks are all unreadable. Good luck to you.

    GPTDesign, Oct 10, 2007
  9. Hockey Buff

    pat362

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I needed my zip drive in a hurry yesterday but couldn't get it to work at all. It wouldn't work on 2 other computers as well. Thinking it was the drive I bought one secondhand in desperation and that woudn't work also. Then I saw the post about the MS update so put it onto a computer which isn't connected for updates - and it works fine. So it must be the updates as suggested.

    Pat

    pat362, Jul 30, 2008