Inventory software, does anyone have any experience?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jeff, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. jeff

    jeff Guest

    Hi, I need to setup some inventory software for my Father's small
    business (less than 500 items), and Im wondering if anyone can point
    me in the right direction for researching what I need.

    ideally free or extremely cheap, could anything be setup in excel or
    one of the other 'office' softwares?

    it would need to do the following:

    -keep current stock # amounts of all products
    -able to store customer data, i.e. remember which customers bought
    which items
    -hopefully be able to exchange data with an invoice/receipt program,
    so that when an invoice is 'created' and merchandise is added to an
    invoice it will 'erase' that item from the current stock.

    hopefully this makes sense and hopefully someone out there can take a
    couple minutes to help me out.

    I appreciate it.

    jeff

    jeff, Dec 6, 2003

  2. jeff

    Boomer Guest

    (jeff) wrote in
    Have you searhed the freeware/shareware sites yet?
    Like webattack.com?
    Or just Googled for 'inventory software'?

    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003

  3. jeff

    Boomer Guest

    Searched. Searhed can be found at Sears. ;-)

    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003
  4. jeff

    Billy Guest

    Set it up in Access for him.
    Examples within the program should give you the idea, if not a quick
    tutorial.

    Billy, Dec 6, 2003
  5. jeff

    nemo Guest

    MS Access is the correct program for dbases and inventories, but it ain't
    cheap. On the other hand, once you've learned it it is very good indeed and
    in my opinion, worth the money.

    Nemo

    nemo, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Excel has a billing/inventory program.
    "QuickBooks" is one of the best total accounting, full ledger/inventory
    programs available. The cheap one runs on one PC. There is a small
    Enterprise solution as well.

    Hirsch Friedman, Dec 7, 2003
  7. I recommend looking into software called Parts & Vendors. I used it a few
    years ago for creating Bills of Materials. The software is rather
    sophisticated, yet reasonably priced. (Probably less than Access, and with
    Access you would have to do a lot of programming.)

    P&V allows you to assign multiple sources and prices for each component,
    track inventory (with varying pricing), create a bill of materials for an
    assembly, add in labor costs, track delivery lead-times, etc......

    5 years ago it was about $125. I know it has improved over the years though
    I haven't used the program in quite some time. Here's a link:
    http://www.trilogydesign.com/main.htm

    They're a reputable company with a good product. I've seen them advertise in
    one of the computer magazines. If I need a program to track parts and
    inventory I would definitely go back to using Parts and Vendors.

    Fell free to contact me if you have questions.

    David G.

    Dave the wave, Dec 7, 2003
  8. jeff

    Boomer Guest

    Hi

    Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
    in your reply?
    (Tools> Options> Send tab, tick the "Include message in Reply" box.)

    It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
    others have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.

    Further info:

    Thank You Very Much :)

    Boomer, Dec 7, 2003
  9. jeff

    Robbo Guest

    Hi, I need to setup some inventory software for my Father's small
    Emailed.

    Also for anyone else that might be interested,
    http://pages.prodigy.net/daleharris/pos.htm

    Robbo, Dec 7, 2003
  10. jeff

    Rosco Guest

    Robbo wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    Well, I don't know of strictly inventory program but I do know of a
    freeware program called POS that offers, Point of Sale, Inventory,
    Merch. Recieving. Stuff like that. HOWEVER! It runs in DOS, if you
    can't run in DOS mode you can run it. Direct your browser to
    http://pages.prodigy.net/daleharris/pos.htm

    Rosco, Dec 8, 2003