Invalid Partition Table

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bp, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. bp

    bp Guest

    A computer I'm fixing gives the error message "Invalid Partition Table". I
    caused this by foolishly using the FIXMBR tool in the XP Pro disk's Recovery
    Console in a situation when it wasn't necessary.

    After running it, now when I boot up, the computer just hangs with an
    "Invalid Partition Table" error. Thus, the C: is inaccessible. I can still
    access the D: via the command prompt on Recovery Console though.

    When I ran FIXMBR, it gave a message warning that I had an invalid or
    non-standard partition table signature, and prompted whether I wanted to
    continue. I then did continue, as I wrongly believed that as the system is
    not configured in a particularly "exotic" way, that the default MBR would be
    fine. My googling since has suggested this sometimes happens when you run
    FIXMBR on a system with 2 partitions.

    The setup:
    40G HDD.
    primary partion - C: - 10G - XP Pro - NTFS
    extended partition - D: - 30G - XP Pro - NTFS

    Now I don't know if this is relevant or not, but when those partitions were
    originally created it was done via the Fdisk command on a W98 Startup disk,
    even though later all partitions were later upgraded to XP/NTFS.

    - BP

    bp, Feb 10, 2006

  2. bp

    Meat Plow Guest