Invalid Partition Table error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Senti, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Senti

    Senti Guest

    The problem, in point form:

    -Shut down my girlfriends computer (properly) while we went away for a
    couple of days.
    -Came back and booted it up.
    -Error message comes up "Invalid Partition Table"

    The computer is a 500 MHz AMD with 256 MB RAM. No major problems prior to
    this. Nothing has been added/removed/changed in the recent past.

    Now, my question is, how can I fix this problem with *out* losing all the
    data on there? There are some personal files of hers that she would prefer
    not to lose (mostly pictures she's taken and music she has).

    If the only way to fix it is to re-partition and re-format, then how can I
    save the files that she wants to keep?

    Thanks in advance!

    ~SF~

    Senti, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Senti

    Emrys Davies Guest

    Emrys Davies, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Senti

    EricP Guest

    You are in a bad area. The utility you need is called "Reboot &
    Repair", but it is, being polite, *expensive* for what it is. Similar
    programs may be available, more reasonably.

    The next idea is to get "Easy Recovery Pro". This is a file finder and
    locates and reassembles the broken files and saves them on another HD.

    Most important is why a correctly shut down drive failed. The drive
    may have gone mechanically and only a very expensive rebuild in a lab
    suffice.

    EricP, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Senti

    Senti Guest

    Thanks, Emrys, but I've already checked that out. It wasn't much help at
    all. I already knew what the error meant.. just need to know how to correct
    it. :)

    Senti, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Senti

    Greg M Guest

    In addition to EricP's advice I've had relatively good luck with Norton's
    Disk Doctor. Well...., witha a bad FAT table.

    I also completely imaged the *tossed* hd to another hdd. There are a few
    tools around to do that. Then I extracted each partion, one at a time, to
    *another* hdd with unformatted space. FWIW.

    I can dig up where the tools are (url) if you're interested. Those are
    free.

    Greg M, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Senti

    Senti Guest

    If you wouldn't mind, those URLs might be a good idea :)

    For now I've just reformatted a spare 40GB and she's using that so there's
    no incredible rush.

    And thanks for the advice :)

    Senti, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Senti

    Greg M Guest

    Greg M, Dec 19, 2003
  8. Senti

    owlbird Guest

    Hi, it's easy. Please visit http://www.ptdd.com and download Partition
    Table Doctor to help you. Partition Table Doctor( PTD ) is a powerful
    recovery tool for your harddisk partition tables, it checks and
    repairs partition table error automatically

    owlbird, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Senti

    Greg M Guest

    Hey it's easy, to put yer followup in the right place.

    Not *to* mine.

    (owlbird) wrote in

    Greg M, Dec 21, 2003