    ========================

    Wondering if I can I simply copy this file into the C directory
    as is or do I need to make minor changes?

    digger o'dell, May 11, 2005

  2. digger o'dell

    °Mike° Guest

    No, do NOT do that. Boot as Administrator from your Windows CD
    and at the bootup prompt, select the Recovery Console (press 'R').
    Enter the administrator password, and when the command console
    appears, type in:

    bootcfg /rebuild

    Follow the instructions to add installations to your boot.ini file.
    When finished, to reboot type:

    exit

    °Mike°, May 11, 2005

  3. Thanks! ..... "close but where's the cegar" (as Clinton reportedly
    said)

    Here what transpired. .... after implementing the abve steps:

    "The windows installation was successful"
    "Total identified windows installed: 3"
    "Add installations to boot list?" (I replied "ALL")
    "Enter load identifier:" (I replied "update")
    "Enter OS load options:" (I replied "windows xp home")

    "Error: Failed to add the selected boot entry to the boot list"

    digger o'dell, May 12, 2005
  4. digger o'dell

    Pennywise Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:42:59 -0400, digger o'dell

    |>On bootup, receiving 5 sec. error message "Invalid boot.ini"
    |>Windows (XP h) continues to load AND function properly.
    |>Actually, it appears as though NO boot.ini file even exists.
    |>
    |>Have managed to locate a previous boot.ini file that was
    |>used prior to the hard drive replacement (boot.ini.backup)
    |>
    |>========================
    |>[boot loader]
    |>timeout=30
    |>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    |>[operating systems]
    |>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    |>Edition" /fastdetect
    |>========================
    |>
    |>Wondering if I can I simply copy this file into the C directory
    |>as is or do I need to make minor changes?

    Yes, just copy it to C:, the above ini will boot XP located on D:
    drive.

    If you have SP2 installed a new switch was added to the command line.
    after /fastdetect add <space> /noexecute=OptIn
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2mempr.mspx

    Pennywise, May 12, 2005
  5. Have read the link re SP2 and have made the recommended mod to
    boot.ini But I'm puzzled why XP would reside on D -- the assigned
    CD rom drive ?

    digger o'dell, May 12, 2005
  6. digger o'dell

    Pennywise Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:13:32 -0400, digger o'dell

    |>On Wed, 11 May 2005 16:48:24 -0700, wrote:
    |>
    |>>On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:42:59 -0400, digger o'dell

    |>>Yes, just copy it to C:, the above ini will boot XP located on D:
    |>>drive.
    |>>
    |>>If you have SP2 installed a new switch was added to the command line.
    |>>after /fastdetect add <space> /noexecute=OptIn
    |>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2mempr.mspx
    |>
    |>Have read the link re SP2 and have made the recommended mod to
    |>boot.ini But I'm puzzled why XP would reside on D -- the assigned
    |>CD rom drive ?

    The boot.ini you posted has: partition(2)\WINDOWS

    The 2 means D: drive, if your XP is on C: drive you will need to
    change it to a 1

    And don't copy it to C: drive, rename your org Boot.ini then copy your
    new Boot.ini to C: drive.

    Pennywise, May 12, 2005