    Any ideas on this?

    Regards and thanks in advance

    Syke

    Syke, Oct 29, 2014

  2. Syke

    David Guest

    Half term a lot of children on the internet?
    Regards
    David

    David, Oct 29, 2014

  3. Syke

    Woody Guest

    Have a look into your router and see what speed you are
    actually getting - Speedtest could be misleading you.

    The router will have a label on it giving its address
    (something like 192.168.1.1) and a username/password. Open
    your browser and type the 192.168...... number directly into
    the address line - no www or anything else, just the number.
    A page will open for username and password (or just
    password) and after these have been entered it will take you
    to a status page on which somewhere will be download and
    upload speeds.

    I am on VM cable at 30Mb but I can assure you at the moment
    its nothing like that. The absolute data rate may well be
    30Mb or near that but the actual Internet feed is slow,
    possibly as already suggested due to half term and rain?

    Woody, Oct 29, 2014
  4. Syke

    Graham J Guest

    Answer = Virgin.net

    Contention, eiher on the backhaul from the local exchange, or possibly
    in the peering connection between Virgin and the site hosting the binary
    image. You may also find that Virgin optimises their connectionto
    speedtest sites.

    Whatever, change your ISP.

    Graham J, Oct 29, 2014
  5. Syke

    Woody Guest

    Why? Although I'm on cable from what I read on here and from
    work I have done assisting others (physically) with
    broadband issues I doubt VM are any worse than most ISPs and
    in many areas probably a damn site better (ignoring the
    likes of Zen, AAISP and the like on price grounds alone.)
    They would not be hosts for a number of other virtual ISPs
    if they weren't acceptable to them would they?

    On the other side of the coin I've been helping a neighbour
    with his B/B which is P.O. Broadband but the underlying ISP
    is TalkTalk. He has only had the service since 1st July but
    is on his third router: router 1 was solid wi-fi but kept
    resyncing and rebooting (by TT's own admission 15 times in
    one 5 hour period) so they sent a replacement; router 2 was
    a lot more stable sometimes going four days without a
    resync, but the wi-fi kept shutting down for no apparent
    reason, so they sent him another; router 3 the wi-fi packed
    up completely after two days - we never got chance to check
    the line reliability! TT say that a resync twice a day is
    acceptable and is in their Ts & Cs although I can't find any
    reference to it. They had of course sent BTOR to check the
    line before starting the router swap routine. When the
    service works it is good - he is getting 16Mb rock solid. TT
    do have an alternative Thomson router which is good at
    handling these sort of problems but Co policy is that it is
    not used on lines less than 3180 metres in length. Eh?

    Between routers 2 and 3 I fitted an Echolink router for him
    that I found at the tip. This router, made by Huawei, is one
    of the standard routers that used to be issued by TalkTalk
    themselves but I assume has been superceded as it is only
    802.11g (54Mb) wi-fi. That router resynced once the day
    after I fitted it but then worked perfectly for well over a
    week without a hiccup.

    My advice to the OP would be to stay where he is with VM and
    see what happens next week when the schools have gone back.

    Woody, Oct 30, 2014
  6. Syke

    Mark Carver Guest

    He did. It was 7824 kb/s

    Mark Carver, Oct 30, 2014
  7. Syke

    Woody Guest

    No, VM are also the provider for Which? broadband and a
    couple of others, hence why I said virtual as it is still a
    VM person that answers a call even if they <say> they are
    Which? By the same token I would class P.O. b/b as a virtual
    as it is all handled by TT and even though they answer the
    help line as P.O they will freely admit if challenged that
    they are TT.

    Woody, Oct 30, 2014
  8. Syke

    Woody Guest

    I've spoken to them at least a half dozen times and four
    different people and at least three of them have said they
    are TT.

    Woody, Oct 30, 2014