    do they turn out to be bait?

    Thanks

    Tom

    Tom, Feb 5, 2005

  2. Tom

    Steve Guest

    You get what you pay for....I'll stick with Adorama, B&H ect.

    Steve, Feb 5, 2005

  3. Tom

    ECM Guest

    They're bait. They often will force you to phone them to "confirm your
    order", then use high-pressure sales tactics to force VERY overpriced
    and often unneccessary extras down your throat. If you don't buy the
    junk, the item is mysteriously backordered.... for months, if
    necessary, until you figure it out.

    Check at www.resellerratings.com for the best reviews of internet
    retailers. It's not gospel and there are often phony reviews inserted,
    but it's as good as can be had so far. If the rating is 9 or over it's
    a better bet than a rating of 5, that's for sure. It's fairly easy to
    pick out the phony reviews, they're from one-time visitors and their
    "5/5"s stick out like a lighthouse in a sea of angry damnation. Do read
    through the recent reviews - it'll give you a sense of what to expect
    from that company.

    Caveat emptor.
    ECM

    ECM, Feb 5, 2005
  4. Tom

    carver33 Guest

    Check out:

    http://www.resellerratings.com/

    I think you'll find that if the price seems too good to be true, it
    probably is.

    HTH
    Bill

    carver33, Feb 5, 2005
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks to all for the replies. I checked out the resellerratings site
    and got an eye (or should I say CCD?) full. Although Adorama didn't
    get the greatest rating it was a whole lot better than the other
    baiters I asked about. But B&H Photo did get a good rating based on a
    lot of responses. Thanks

    Tom

    Tom, Feb 5, 2005
  6. Run away from these places.

    Stick with B&H, Adorama, Buydig.com, and Amazon.com.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 6, 2005
  7. I was kind of surprised at Adorama's low rating. I've dealt with B&H,
    Adorama, and Buydig, with no issues, as well as Amazon.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 6, 2005
  8. Tom

    Jose Guest

    Jose, Feb 6, 2005
  9. Tom

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Feb 6, 2005
  10. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks to all for the help.

    The " If you are idiot enough to think they have changed, by all means
    shop there." comment was off target if aimed at me. I've been
    researching and noticed the wide spreads among retailers. I thought
    (correctly) that this would be a good place to ask. I now have
    "Buydig" to check out as well.

    Thanks for the education.

    BTW, I made an unintended dig at Adorama by lumping them into the
    "baiter" group. I should have been more careful with my sentence
    structure. They certainly have a much better rating than Royal and the
    like.

    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes while the rest of us
    have to be the 'other people'"

    Tom

    Tom, Feb 6, 2005
  11. Tom

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Buydig may be reliable, but they are somewhat dishonest. Their company
    logo/slogan is "Worldwide Direct" but they don't actually sell to anywhere but
    the USA.

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    Ben Thomas, Feb 6, 2005
  12. : Thanks to all for the help.

    : "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes while the rest of us
    : have to be the 'other people'"

    One thing to watch for. I recently ran afowl of a problem with several
    "least expensive" retailers from a Yahoo search. If a digital camera is
    manufactured in Japan (almost all of them) they have to pay an import fee
    when it is to be sold in the US. But some retailers sell both in country
    and overseas. And the Yahoo search doesn't know the difference. And since
    the retailers don't put anything on the web page that mentions that this
    price is for non-US sales only, you can order something that can not be
    legally shipped to you (in the US). The problem I have with several of
    these low priced stores is that they will take the order and then simply
    delay any further contact (and won't ship the item) until you get
    disgusted and cancel. If they would just explain the problem they could
    probably make many of those sales (with the additional cost of the import
    duty added).

    I ran into this with 5 different sellers that delayed me and put me off
    for a total of 6 months while I just wanted a camera to be used on a
    vacation. I finally found out the problem 1 month AFTER the vacation. But
    I now have the camera I wanted in plenty of time for my next vacation (11
    months away). :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Feb 7, 2005
  13. Adorama comes out worse on resellerratings.com than lots of the much
    lower priced Brooklyn places. Is there some reason to use them?

    Oliver Costich, Feb 7, 2005

  14. I've had good results using Pricegrabber to look at the pricing and
    then checking the vendors with resellerratings.com to find the lowest
    price from a well rated company.

    Oliver Costich, Feb 7, 2005
  15. I was surprised at their low rating. I've used them for years with no
    problems. No better or worse than B&H, and they have some specialty
    items that B&H doesn't carry.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 7, 2005
  16. Tom

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Feb 7, 2005
  17. Adorama comes out worse on resellerratings.com than lots of the much
    I've always been very happy with Adorama, at least when I've been in
    their shop. They do have a no-nonsense New York attitude about them,
    which I suppose some people might not like, but I find it efficient.
    Certainly I've never had any reason to think they were dishonest,
    which cannot be said for many other discount stores.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Apr 26, 2005