    will best suits my needs. The question: Any hands on experience pros
    or cons with any of the units. I already have a gangbuster sound
    system to hook it to.

    OldGringo, Apr 17, 2009

  2. OldGringo

    thanatoid Guest

    You can listen to radio stations from all over the world without
    any extra hardware except a cable to connect the sound card line
    output to your gangbuster sound system. Google for more info.

    Also, have you considered satellite radio?

    thanatoid, Apr 17, 2009

  3. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The thanatoid Post:
    I do listen to the stations on the computer however, where I would
    like the radio and the sound system are at opposite ends of the
    house. I tried a FM transmitter connected to the computer but that
    was no good. An FM transmitter that would work is illegal without a
    license. I don't want to have to run 75 ft. of cable as there will
    probably be too much distortion. Satellite radios cost about as much
    as Internet Radios then you have to pay a monthly subscription fee.
    I use 2Wire WiFi on my PC and my laptop will connect with excellent
    signal anywhere in the house including upstairs and in the basement,
    ant that is the main reason for selecting Internet wireless radio.
    Thanks for the reply and thoughts.

    OldGringo, Apr 17, 2009
  4. Where are you? Satellite radio is free in Britain.

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 17, 2009
  5. OldGringo

    thanatoid Guest

    Correct. Not worth the hassle.
    There won't be any distortion. Get Gotham cable, very good and
    not as expensive as Monster or some such rip-off. You can order
    a specific length and the appropriate Neutrik plugs (expensive
    but worth it) from a good pro electronics supply store. Almost
    anyone who has soldered a cable plug before can do the job. If
    you have no such store nearby, try Googling or go to
    www.mouser.com

    <SNIP>

    thanatoid, Apr 17, 2009
  6. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The Geoff Pearson Post:
    Extrema south west Texas and it's $10 $12 dollars a month here.

    OldGringo, Apr 17, 2009
  7. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The thanatoid Post:
    Thanks again for the info.

    OldGringo, Apr 17, 2009
  8. OldGringo

    catchme Guest

    assuming you have a computer and you are connected to the internet, you
    therefore already have an "internet radio"; just find a station to
    listen to, on any music player (i.e. itunes) or related app.

    catchme, Apr 18, 2009
  9. OldGringo wrote:

    ......Plug the laptop earhpone out into your soundsystem line-in. Use wifi to
    connect to the internet using the other pc as a router/relay, and play your
    favorite internet stations using vlc or others, on the lap.
    What do you have to pay for - placing a dish on your roof or elsewhere?
    Most sat radios and even a lot of tv stations are unencrypted (no ci
    necessary) and can be received without additional monthly fees - the
    equipment is a one-time invest.
    What *we* here have to pay for, is a general tax-like broadcast fee -
    regardless of the means the signal is received, am/fm, sat, cable or even
    internet. But that's a "flat rate" as well.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 18, 2009
  10. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The wisdomkiller & pain Post:
    Thanks Sat radio is only a little antenna about the size of a pack
    of cigs and sits in the window with a clear view of the southern sky.

    OldGringo, Apr 18, 2009
  11. OldGringo

    Dave Guest

    I'm also in Texas, you can get a 1 Watt FM transmitter ( no license needed
    for transmit strength less than 2 miles) hooked up to your sound card output
    on your PC or IPod type device.
    Email me... I'll tell tell you what I have on my setup....

    Dave, Apr 19, 2009