internet over mobile question - networks related

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Feb 19, 2012.

  1. My knowledge of this kind of thing is severely limited (we currently
    have no coverage and I only own a steam-driven mobile that gets switched
    on 2-5 times a year).

    Now I need to catch up, since said mobile will become obsolete by July.

    There's 2G, which I believe gets used for voice calls.

    For 3G I see there are mobiles out there with hsdpa 850/../2100 and
    hadpa 900/../2100

    I understand Telecom uses the 850 frequency for (rural)data, everybody
    else uses 900.

    Question: if I have a mobile that supports 850 for G3, and I get a
    Vodaphone sim card: will this phone fall back to using G2 to access
    internet in rural areas since it can't use Vodaphone's hsdpa 900
    extended coverage or will it simply not work at all (in other words, not
    use G2 as a fallback mode)? I've simply no idea if a fallback mode gets
    used at all in those cases or if data can be got via gsm.

    What will certainly NOT happen is that it will switch to Telecom's
    network because _they_ have no coverage in this area whatsoever.

    Mostly I'm asking because there's a samsung galaxy i9000T on trademe
    and a galaxy s captivage which are set up with the Telecom frequencies
    for G3 and do not support hsdpa 900. Might be foolish to bid on those,
    but I've no idea.

    tia, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Feb 19, 2012

  2. Some US models have the supported Telecom and Vodaphone bands, look at
    the US specs of the phone and often they are sold here, but its a
    gamble.

    Frank Williams, Feb 20, 2012

  3. Peter Huebner

    Richard Guest

    Some US models will only do 850MHz and some other oddball bands that are
    US specific so if you are in a place that has only got 2100MHz coverage
    like my house and some other places I have been, there will be no coverage.

    To work properly on telecom it needs _both_ 850 and 2100, one of the
    craphouse R something telecom handsets was totally useless here as it
    was only 850, as are many of the AT&T samsungs off trademe.

    Richard, Feb 20, 2012
  4. Peter Huebner

    Richard Guest

    Yes, but the 2G GPRS network on vodafone is so damn slow that it may as
    well not use it since all you will get is timeouts or have to use the
    cutdown feature poor m. versions of sites.

    Same thing happens in urban areas on vodafone when you are inside in
    anycase on any handset, so IMO a change of network is a better idea.

    Richard, Feb 20, 2012

  5. I was referring to unbranded phones, not locked to a Service provider.

    Frank Williams, Feb 20, 2012

  6. MAY BE YOU SHOUD READ WHAT WAS POSTED..

    Frank Williams, Feb 20, 2012

  7. Thank you very much, that comprehensively clears up all my questions.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 20, 2012