INTERNET MISTAKES TO AVOID

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Tracker, Aug 10, 2003.

  1. Tracker

    Tracker Guest

    A. Some Internet Service Provider’s like MSN reveal your sign-up full
    name when you try to send out requests to List Serves, Mailing Lists and
    E-mail. This reveals to the world what your real name is. Anyone who
    so desires can find out your Internet habits - even co-workers.
    B. There are plenty of Websites that track and take hold of your name
    which can then cause them to send snail mail (US Mail) with unsolicited
    garbage. Remember, there are sites which list every e-mail address you
    have associated yourself with on the Internet.
    C. An employer you have applied to for employment can go on the
    Internet and search for your real name and see what your Internet
    habits. They can also attain personal information that you would like
    to keep private.
    D. Let’s say you posted to a Medical Website pertaining to a medical
    condition you have. As a new employer prospect they can find out what
    your condition is. Again, this is personal and private information.
    E. This is one mistake I’ve never made and never will. Some employers
    ask their employees to go online using their personal e-mail address to
    download software drivers and patches, etc. This is a Big No-No!
    Again, refer back to #1. By using a company computer, your e-mail
    address will be available and visible to your employer. And they could
    chose to track your Internet habits which is personal information.
    These words are not spoken lightly.
    F. God forbid you ever anger a person on the Internet, then your
    nightmares are just beginning. It isn’t going to matter which Egroups,
    Newsgroup, List Serve or Mailing List that you make a comment to. If
    people have a mean streak they will take revenge against you.
    G. It’s not a bright idea when filling out any form on the Internet to
    include your real name, city and state you reside in, except when making
    an actual purchase. In fact, there are times you might want to setup
    any new account using the opposite gender.
    H. This one is a humdinger, if you are truly one of them egotistical
    types. Say that you post from work; well guess what? Your work IP
    address is now present for all to see. I’ve had people tell me they
    were e-mailing me from their place of employment, but not to respond
    back to their e-mail address. Now your in deep if you anger anyone on
    the Internet. Your in for some trouble now when letters start appearing
    at your work place, to your bosses office or unwanted phone calls start
    coming in.
    I. Many people have a desire to read their daily horoscopes. For your
    own protection and security, when setting up an account to get your
    horoscope, type in a birthday a few days before or after your true
    birthday. This way, if your computer is compromised, the hackers won’t
    know your "true birthday". The less you provide to the hackers the
    better off you are in securing your personal information. A minute of
    your time now is less expensive then a big bottle of aspirin later.

    Tracker
    Beefs Fiancee'

    I know how important it is for me not to define myself by how others
    perceive me.

    Interested in purchasing my book named "Security Minds versus Malicious
    Minds" visit:
    www.securityminds2003.com
    It will teach you to learn about Windows, the Internet and Hacking

    To view some kick butt artwork, visit:
    http://www.captiveimagery.com/index.cfm

    Tracker, Aug 10, 2003

  2. Tracker

    Chuck Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 03:11:36 +0400, Tracker
    </advertising>
    </spam>

    Chuck Croll

    Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
    Trusted Computing? Right! http://www.againsttcpa.com/
    WHAT IS THE CBDTPA? http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

    Chuck, Aug 10, 2003

  3. Tracker

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 03:11:36 +0400, Tracker

    [Schnippage]
    J. Anything said by Tracker, The Trackers, Debbie, Archangel, or
    certain other whackos on the internet/usenet should be taken as one
    takes castor oil - sparingly ... avoided if at all possible.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Aug 10, 2003
  4. A big mistake to avoid: opening any messages with all-upper case subject
    line.

    S. Pidgorny [MVP], Aug 10, 2003
  5. Tracker

    optikl Guest

    I've personally sweated this one ever since I can remember. Knowing that
    when I wind up with a compromised box this simple trick will keep my real
    birth date secure, will keep me keepin' on.
    Thanks Tracker. Thanks Beef.

    optikl, Aug 10, 2003
  6. Tracker

    |{evin Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 03:11:36 +0400, Tracker

    <snip a bunch of rubbish>

    Debbie... You do realize that if you ever decide to try to get a job
    your potential employer is going to have a field day with all the crap
    associated with YOUR name.

    |{evin, Aug 10, 2003
  7. Tracker

    Cap Guest

    http://www.sand-n-sea.us/debbiesdrival.htm

    Cap, Aug 10, 2003
  8. ....

    If they have hacked your machine enough to get your birthday - they have
    enough that they don't need it.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    "Just trying to help"

    How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups
    http://tinyurl.com/fkja

    How do I go about posting an informative question?
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    How to use Google
    http://www.google.com/help/basics.html
    http://tinyurl.com/fkmc
    -------------------------

    Shenan T. Stanley, Aug 10, 2003
  9. This babe has invented well and there is no reason to work. Sorry if your
    So how does your book sell? I suppose it can be found on the humor
    shelf...

    --

    (Quote from one who found just the right words)

    USENET POST WARNING
    ====================
    The User by the name "Tracker" aka "Debbie", VPNSISHACKERSSECRET, aka
    "snailmail" regularly posts incorrect, misleading and damaging information,
    to rely on the advice of this person could result in irreparable damage to
    your system. It is mypersonal advice not to listen to anything that this
    person posts andcertainly to not attempt or believe anything this person
    advises. The following link provides additional information

    http://www.sand-n-sea.us/debbiesdrival.htm

    See also (for her book):

    http://www.securitymindless2003.com

    (End Quote)

    Regards

    Tocis ()

    Thore Schmechtig, Aug 11, 2003
  10. Tracker

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Aug 11, 2003
  11. It should be further extrapolated:

    "Anything said on the Internet/Usenet should be taken with a grain of
    salt"

    /steve
    --
    6 cyls, 6 carbs, 6 pipes, wifi, Internet access, the open road is my
    office... http://www.cotse.net/users/steve/myoffice.jpg

    No one gives you more control over your e-mail than we do!
    http://www.cotse.net/servicedetails.html

    Stephen K. Gielda, Aug 11, 2003
  12. Stephen K. Gielda Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    Agreed, Steve. BTW, nice ride (Your sig link)

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Aug 11, 2003
  13. Tracker

    Lu Tze Guest

    ***I know how important it is for me not to define myself by how others
    perceive me.***

    This term would suggest that she has been seeing or is being seen by a
    psychologist. The psychologist has used this term in his/her dealings with
    Debbie and she has latched onto it as a snappy excuse for her mental state.
    I doubt very much, that from the context in which she uses the term, she is
    fully conversant with the full implications of what she states.
    She actually craves recognition but has no abilities or skills either social
    or intellectual to achieve her aims.
    She is a sad,lonely person of low intellect and if her delusions ever became
    self evident then she would feel so humiliated she would be left with only
    one way out.
    She has to cling to here delusional ramblings else she would fail to
    function at all.
    The future for Debbie can go in only one of two ways.
    Incarceration in an institution.
    Self harm.
    A cure for her is most unlikely.

    Lu Tze

    Whale Oil Beef Hooked.

    Lu Tze, Aug 11, 2003
  14. Tracker

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    Jeff Cochran, Aug 11, 2003
  15. Tracker

    Tracker Guest

    Thanks for the laugh and let's show the world how successful my book is.

    Tracker

    Tracker, Aug 11, 2003
  16. Tracker

    Mike Guest

    What's the ISBN number please?

    Stephen K. Gielda, Aug 12, 2003
  18. Tracker

    optikl Guest

    Your posts really make my mornings. It must be a blessing to not ever have
    to worry that what you write may not make any sense at all.

    optikl, Aug 12, 2003
  19. Tracker

    Harri Mellin Guest

    it doesn't have one! it's home made cdrom

    Harri Mellin, Aug 12, 2003
  20. Tracker

    Jim Watt Guest

    666