    They said there are OK, so the problem is ours.
    What could it be? I know very little of networking, any help greatly
    appreciated.

    Starriol, Jan 3, 2006

  2. Starriol

    John Holmes Guest

    Ask your system administrator. Now you won't come back telling us /you/ are
    the system administrator, now do you?

    John Holmes, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Starriol

    why? Guest

    Normally I would say contact the network administrator first (but as one
    myself, it's best to speak to other admins first) you mention a domain
    and the OS, you think is important.
    You forgot to mention anything about how the ISP connection is connected
    / via what equipment to where.

    Besides you don't need a domain server for a network to work.
    You should only really need 2 routers, as a primary and backup for the
    ISP connection.

    You proved this by what tests.

    When not working the test results are different from when it's working.

    Sounds simple, a little bit of testing and monitoring will soon show
    something.
    Some info or a little common sense first helps with issues like these.

    Check the devices between a PC / your ISP connection.

    Valid IP settings.

    Error logs where possible, on devices between a PC to your ISP box.

    Put a PC as close as possible to the incoming connection, not on any hub
    etc but on the ISPs modem/router.

    Do traceroutes via names and IP addresses when working and when not.
    Depending on the differences, that would give you a clue.

    There is no loss of connection to internal devices, other PCs, routers,
    servers.

    With a domain , no login issues reported.

    Internet access is based on domin login rights.

    You give nothing to go on, so think about the suggestions above and then
    go and hire someone to check your setup and do some monitoring.

    Me

    why?, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Starriol

    Donald Guest