Internet Explorer freezes when going to new page

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Matt, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Hi all,

    I have an HP Pavilion 6330 computer that I am having some problems with. I
    know its an old computer, but I'm trying to fix it up to use as a secondary
    system. Here's the specs of it:

    Pavilion 6330
    300Mhz K6-2 Processor
    128MB SD-RAM
    4 GB Hard Drive

    I don't have the original recovery CD (the computer itself was purchased
    third party years ago) but I do have an original copy of Windows 98 SE CD.
    I boot from a clean 98 floppy disk, copy the Windows CAB files over to the
    C:\, then run setup to install windows. All goes well and there are no
    errors.

    However, after the install completes there is one extremely annoying problem
    that I can't seem to fix (after about six installs of Windows now!).
    Whenever I go into My Computer and try to open up a new folder or drive from
    within it, the window will freeze up. Also, after getting an ethernet card
    installed into the PC and connected on the Internet (via a router and DHCP),
    when I open up Internet Explorer and attempt to goto a different site, that
    window also freezes and I can't do anything with it. When I CTRL+ALT+DEL
    the window and end the task, the whole system freezes and I have to restart.
    When I try to shutdown or restart the computer through the OS, it also
    hangs. So, I can't do much of ANYTHING the way it is.

    I have installed the HP video drivers, and that is all the support they
    provide. There are no explanation points in the device manager. I have now
    tried replacing the RAM and using a different hard drive, but its still the
    same problem. Prior to formatting, I had Windows 98 SE installed with the
    internet and it worked fine. Has anyone ever experienced a simular problem
    and do you know of a fix to it? Thanks in advance,

    Matt

    Matt, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Matt

    bee Guest

    If you have re-formatted your harddisk and all the installation+drivers are
    correct, check your power supply (The standalone power supply box). May be
    its not stable and needed to change a new one.

    bee, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Wow! I never even considered it to be the power supply. But sure enough, I
    swapped it with another one and now its working great! In fact, better than
    it was in the past. Thanks a ton for the suggestion! Cheers,

    Matt

    Matt, Dec 29, 2003