    Internet in an attempt to replicate the problem, then fix it.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Mike, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Im not sure if i completely understand the problem, but try this. When internet explorer is open, right click on the internet explorer bar in the taskbar (sorry, had to throw in a pic; i cant explain things well), and click maximize. Then, as you hold down the control button, close internet explorer by clicking the X. I hope this works. There is an alternate method (cant remember it), but if that doesnt work, please reply.

    Rusty

    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Mike

    St Bernard Guest

    Rusty the other one I use to resize the IE window permanently from the 1/4
    size it nearly always is the first time I install Windows 2000/XP and go to
    the updates page:

    Hold down ctrl+shift+alt, drag/set the window as you want it, then close it
    and release the keys. It will then always open maximized, or where you had
    it set when you closed it.

    Hope this helps

    St Bernard, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    Close all instances of Internet Explorer except one. Open a new
    window, and close the original. Type (case sensitive) the
    following into the address bar (where XXX,XXX is your screen
    resolution), and press ENTER:

    javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(XXX,XXX)

    When the new window re-sizes, hold the CTRL key and close the
    window. New windows should now open at full size, with everything
    visible.

    Example, if your screen is set at 800 x 600:

    javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(800,600)

    °Mike°, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I believe you're on to something. The notebook has
    15.4 UltraSharpTM Wide WUXGA active matrix screen.
    I believe the resolution is something like 1600 x1280.
    When the resolution is reduced the aspect ratio distorts.
    Objects appear wider, I think.

    Please clarify:Only one instance of Internet Explorer open.
    Should it be minimized? Open full screen?
    Open another window of I.E. Close the original I. E window
    Type (case sensitive) the following into the address bar
    (where XXX,XXX is your screen resolution), and press ENTER:

    e.g. javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(1600.1280) Assuming the
    resolution
    is 1600x1280.

    I'll try out your procedure and see what happens.

    Mike

    Mike, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I. E. 6 opens full screen when not connected to the Internet.
    Does the javascript fix still apply?

    Mike

    Mike, Oct 30, 2003
  7. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes. It doesn't matter whether you are connected, or not.

    °Mike°, Oct 30, 2003
  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I'm looking at the Dell D800 notebook right now.
    Internet Explorer opens full screen, however some
    websites cover only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the screen. Some of them
    are aligned against the left side of the screen, afew a aligned in the
    center and other are aligned on the right side on the screen. Some
    websites display full screen such as Windows Update and
    www.news.google.com. display fulkl screen.

    Mike

    Mike, Nov 6, 2003
  9. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Tried out your suggestion but it didn't make any difference. I.E.,opens full
    screen but some web sites only cover 1/3 or 1/2 of the screen.
    I wonder if the screen resolution wuga (1920 x 1200) and the ratio of the
    screen which 15" diagonal and about 8" high. I'm beginning to suspect
    sites created using MS Frontpage ae the ones that don't completely fill the
    scree, e.g., msn.com.

    Mike, Nov 6, 2003
  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I wonder if the opera browser or mazilla browser will make any difference?
    How secure are they?

    Mike

    Mike, Nov 6, 2003
  11. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    What you are describing is not a browser problem, nor a
    Frontpage problem, but a coding problem, where the web
    pages in question are coded to a certain pixel size. Your
    screen resolution is larger, hence the window only covering
    1/3 or 1/2 of the screen. I've found that the majority of
    web pages that stipulate a fixed size are of the 800x600
    variety, with only the occasional 1024x768 or 1280x1024.
    There is nothing you can do about this - except maybe
    complain to the web master.

    °Mike°, Nov 6, 2003
  12. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Your response makes a lot of sense to me.

    Mike

    Mike, Nov 7, 2003
  13. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Web pages can be coded to display full page at any resolution?
    Some web pages, e.g., www.drudgereport.com , windows update page display
    full screen.

    Mike
    ]

    Mike, Nov 7, 2003
  14. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, the Drudge report page sets the table to be 100%
    width, instead of a fixed pixel size, effectively making it
    full page size; many others do this, too.

    °Mike°, Nov 7, 2003
  15. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Well, with more monitors using very high resolutions it seems to me
    all web pages should be coded for 100% width.

    Mike

    Mike, Nov 8, 2003
  16. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    The problem is that some pages are designed badly. Imagine,
    for a moment, that a page has an image that only looks good
    at one particular size. You can see that a dynamically sized
    web page would make that image (and possibly many more)
    look terrible. Some pages just don't look good at any other
    resolution.

    °Mike°, Nov 8, 2003
  17. Mike

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    The problem is that some pages are designed badly. Imagine,

    Sorry for the cutoff but can't get a hold on the "quote" button to copy what's
    highlighted without having to scroll back and forth. At least the idea is
    there. Anyway, is this what is going on when you're reading a response in a
    forum and you have to scroll back and forth off the page to read the whole
    sentence. You're right. That is annoying and I was wondering if it was a
    setting I could change. Guess not?

    Viewasku1977, Nov 8, 2003
  18. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    If I understand you correctly, you are reading web forums and
    the text is wider than your screen, yes? Well, short of changing
    your screen resolution, there is nothing you can do.

    °Mike°, Nov 8, 2003
  19. Mike

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    If I understand you correctly, you are reading web forums and

    Viewasku1977, Nov 8, 2003
  20. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.