    specify the 32-bit version. Can anyone answer any of these questions and/or
    give me some information on some of what I can and/or should do about it?
    Thanks.

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 14, 2010

  2. Nathan Sokalski

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Nathan.

    You are correct. On 64-bit Win7, there BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions of
    IE8.

    Some program developers are slow to move to the 64-bit world. One of them,
    sadly, is Adobe. Adobe Flash Player is one of the most popular tools on the
    Internet - but it has not yet been updated to work in a 64-bit browser. But
    it will happily work in a 32-bit browser running in 64-bit Windows. For
    Adobe's statement on this subject, see their TechNote, last updated
    10/21/09:
    Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

    When we try to play a YouTube video in 64-bit IE8, it doesn't work. When my
    grandson tries to play some of the videos on PBSKids.org, they don't work -
    unless the 32-bit IE8 is running. To cut down on such frustrations,
    Microsoft set Win7 to run 32-bit IE8 by default. If you want to run 64-bit
    IE8, then you can browse to it in Windows Explorer and double-click on
    iexplore.exe - or any of the other methods to run a program (pin to Start
    menu or taskbar, create a shortcut, etc.).

    I did change the default to 64-bit, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. When
    a Flash video refuses to run in 64-bit, just Copy the URL, start the 32-bit
    IE8 (which can be pinned to the Start menu), Paste the URL there and press
    Enter.

    To see which version of IE8 is currently running, click Help | About
    Internet Explorer. The 64-bit version will say "64-bit Edition"; the 32-bit
    edition doesn't mention "bitness" at all.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 14, 2010

  3. http://social.answers.microsoft.com...r/thread/babaa5f8-ff06-4ea2-aef6-a9416d65f981
    "I have Windows 7 64-bit and need to use Internet Explorer 32-bit".

    --
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    MS Answers: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/it-IT/categories

    Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP], Feb 14, 2010
  4. May I ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?

    The bulk of this KB article pertains to Windows 7, too:

    A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows
    Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765

    You should familiarize yourself with this FAQ:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

    More:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com...r/thread/babaa5f8-ff06-4ea2-aef6-a9416d65f981

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Feb 14, 2010
  5. The reason I am using a 64-bit version of Windows is because:

    1. That is the version that came with my new computer
    2. I believe 64-bit is the only version of Windows 7 Ultimate that exists
    (although I'd have to double-check
    3. I wanted to move forward, and since most my stuff works on 64-bit (and
    the few things that don't, well, I'm in the tech field, so I enjoy figuring
    out how to make it work or what would make a good workaround or alternative)
    I saw no reason to wait

    Is there something that you have against 64-bit? The only people that I
    thought had a problem with it were some of the hardware and plug-in makers
    that decided to wait so long to make 64-bit drivers and updates. 64-bit
    isn't new, even though not a lot of people used them, there were 64-bit
    versions of XP and Vista, so I would think that most hardware makers would
    offer some kind of 64-bit driver and places like Adobe would have made a
    64-bit version of stuff like Flash that virtually everyone uses. But I'm a
    patient person, I enjoy looking for workarounds and alternatives, I'm a
    patient person, and Microsoft was smart enough to give Windows 7 users a 32
    and 64-bit version of IE8, so what do I have to complain about?

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 14, 2010
  6. 645-bit Windows 7 should serve you well. Ultimate does come in both
    32-bit and 64-bit, but but that's not really significant.

    If you find any 16-bit based program that won't run on 64-bit you can
    always install a Virtual Machine program and run most of those type
    programs there. Microsoft has an XP Mode VM for Win 7 Professional and
    Ultimate. And, if you really need to run some old programs, there is
    DOSBox.

    So, enjoy you 64-bit Win 7!

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 14, 2010
  7. Two tips: Never assume, and do your research/homework before buying a new
    computer or upgrading your current computer.

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Feb 14, 2010
  8. Nathan Sokalski

    Richard Guest

    PA Bear,

    Like Nathan, I'm also curious about the thinking behind you comment, "May I
    ask why you purchased a 64-bit version of Windows?" Since you're a "MVP" I
    would be interested in you elaborating on that comment. I'm not attempting
    to start an argument, just want to hear your rationale.

    In my case, I replaced a 10 year old desktop that was failing fast
    (hardware) and was not expandable beyond 512MB of ram with a laptop fully
    compatible with 64-bit and most 32-bit applications. I replaced one software
    package (I was due anyway). Since I'm now retired, I can get along without
    Microsoft Office (Works 9, which came with my system gives me what I need).
    The only peripheral that I replace was my scanner and that was because the
    accompanying software was not compatible with 64-bit. I could have kept it,
    the driver worked but I wanted full functionality.

    Again, I'm interested in you expanding on your comment.

    Richard, Feb 14, 2010
  9. I don't assume, and I did do plenty of research before buying my new
    computer. I read Windows 7 Inside Out from cover to cover (which I believe
    is the best series of books as far as getting in-depth details about
    Windows, I did the same thing with Windows XP Inside Out), I checked online
    for Windows 7 and 64-bit compatible drivers and updates for my hardware and
    software, I even wrote myself a detailed step-by-step list of things to do
    when I got my machine to make sure I did everything exactly the way I wanted
    it. I think I can be considered someone who did their research and homework.

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 14, 2010
  10. Nathan Sokalski

    Vjekoslav Guest

    This PA Bear is a crasy guy. What kind of a question is that : May I ask you
    why you....... x64 win...??? What do ya' care why somebody did this or
    that.A man is asking a question, if you can't give him an answer, please,
    don't ask a stupid questiones, It's not up to you, man!!!

    Vjekoslav, Feb 18, 2010
  11. PA Bear [MS MVP], Feb 19, 2010
  12. Nathan Sokalski

    Vjekoslav Guest

    Didn't mean to offend you PA Bear! Come on, no hard feelings, just put
    yourself in a position of one asking whatever.

    Vjekoslav, Feb 19, 2010
  13. No problem and my gibe about your spelling was all in fun, too.

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Feb 19, 2010
  14. Nathan Sokalski

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Nathan.

    Sorry for the delayed response. I was at the MVP Global Summit this week.

    Like you, I prefer to be near - but probably not quite at - the leading
    edge. I have only one computer, so when it comes time to upgrade, I like to
    get as near state-of-the-art as I can. When I built my current rig at the
    end of 2006, after we finished the Vista beta and it went RTM, I made sure
    my new mobo/CPU were 64 X2 models, with 2 GB of PC-6400 RAM, since upped to
    4 GB. The machine is not quite SOTA now, but still quite enough for my
    current needs. So I agree with your Reasons 1 and 3.

    But your Reason 2 is not correct. ALL versions of Win7 are available in
    both 32-bit and 64-bit editions, but some versions don't have both disks in
    the retail box. Many OEMs bundle only one version with their hardware, and
    that is increasingly the 64-bit version. Ultimate x64 is the only version
    of Win7 I've used, except for a minor bit of testing. Win7 does come with
    BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions in the retail box. All versions of Win7
    include 32-bit IE8. Win7 32-bit has only the 32-bit version of IE8, of
    course, since the 64-bit version will not run in 32-bit Windows. But, as I
    said: Win7 64-bit comes with BOTH versions of IE8 on the DVD-ROM; both
    versions will run in 64-bit; Win x64 defaults to the 32-bit version of IE8;
    the Win7 x64 user has several ways to run 64-bit IE8.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 20, 2010
  15. It's certainly good to know that there are other people that want to stay
    current in the modern tech. Thanks for clearing up my knowledge about the
    availability of 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7. I think I've figured
    out why the 32-bit version of IE8 is the default. Many plug-ins and add-ons
    refuse to work in the 64-bit version (some of them even from Microsoft!). I
    guess I'll have to deal with that for a while just like everyone else and
    use the 32-bit version for those things. I just wish when I did come across
    something in IE8 64-bit that wants one of those plug-ins that it would tell
    me that a 64-bit version of the plug-in is not available instead of asking
    me if I want to install the plug-in when it isn't even compatible with my
    browser and it's just going to keep asking me everytime I visit the page
    with IE8 64-bit anyway. I'm actually quite surprised that some plug-ins
    don't have compatible versions yet, since probably 1/2 the sites on the web
    use them (such as Flash). Anyway, thanks for your response, and hopefully
    some of these places will start moving into 64-bit once more people buy new
    computers with Windows 7 64-Bit preinstalled.

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 21, 2010
  16. Nathan Sokalski

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Nathan.
    Correct. And I griped about those (again) to Microsoft at the Summit. I
    got more excuses and rationalizations than promises of fixes. :>(
    Agreed! 100%!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 22, 2010
  17. Nathan Sokalski

    Vjekoslav Guest

    yeah, it's not accidently, that was an intention

    stay well

    2 2 Toulouse (city in France, )
    2 2 Toulouse 2

    Vjekoslav, Feb 22, 2010