Internet Connection Status dialogue explanation please.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Oct 27, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Can't see a straight explanation of this dialogue in my help files, so am
    not sure how to interpret the readings (nor why it disappears from time to
    time though still connected...)

    XP Pro pc via wireless router to cable internet.

    Dialogue says: Activity Internet / Internet Gateway / My Computer
    For IG: Sent 13,637,762 Received 133,275,116
    My Computer: Sent 3,874 Received 13,297

    How exactly are these figures related? There seems to be a 'thirteen'
    similarity, but why is the router sending over 300 times more than the pc is
    passing to it, and receiving 1000 times more than is being passed to the pc?
    Where are all those extra packets going in the router?

    As the 'properties' sheet associated with the dialogue seems to contain next
    to no information I'd appreciate an explanation.

    Cheers,

    Guest, Oct 27, 2007