Internet Connection Sharing from Wireless Portable to Wireless Des

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Apr 5, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello. I just set up my first home network using a notebook with Vista Home
    and wireless, a desktop with XP SP2 and a wireless card, and an Actiontec DSL
    modem (not a wireless router). The internet runs fine on each computer via
    hardwire to the modem.

    I am trying to use the desktop as the shared internet connection computer on
    a home wireless network. After running the Network Setup Wizard many times,
    with many different settings, I always get the Error in Configuration message
    at the end of the setup on the portable. But the network still works for
    file sharing between computers, I've used it and can see the shared files,
    but I cannot get the Internet up on the portable using wireless. I have been
    on the internet through other wireless networks so I know it will work if set
    up right.

    The Network Connections window shows the Actiontec modem as the Internet
    Gateway and the wireless card and NVidia nForce Network controller as the LAN
    or High-Speed Internet connections. If I set a static IP address on the
    hi-speed connection I lose the Actiontec gateway icon. I can set the IP
    address on the wireless card but it does not solve the problem. Also, if I
    enable ICS on the desktop wireless piint or the hi-speed connection, I lose
    the Actiontec internet gateway. I've tried all of the diagnosing tools and
    wizards but can't get the Internet to come up over the wireless network.

    Is there a standard troubleshooting flow chart that can be followed to
    diagnose the problem? Or some better setup software, Microsoft or otherwise?
    The hit and miss method is wearing me out. I would like to avoid bailing
    out and buying more hardware, since this setup is supposed to be work.

    Thanks for any help.

    Guest, Apr 5, 2007

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have "Bridged" the Wireless and Network controller points on the desktop
    (suggested through a Compaq help page) and now the portable gets wireless
    internet, and I still have desktop internet access. But I lost the file
    sharing and the wireless point shows as not connected even though wireless is
    provinding theinternet to the portable. If I try to "repair" the wireless
    connection, I get a message saying it's not possible. Removing the bridge
    kills the internet on the portable. Does this make sense or tell anything
    more about the root of the problem?

    Guest, Apr 5, 2007