Internet Connection Drops Repeatedly

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by ~BD~, Mar 3, 2009.

  1. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    The article here http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1111 says:-

    Disabling Conflicting Firewalls Such as Windows XP, McAfee, Norton, or Zone
    Alarm

    Often two firewalls on the same LAN conflict. Both are trying to do the same
    job; the conflict may cause an otherwise good Internet connection to drop.
    If this happens, use the NETGEAR firewall, and disable the other. Two
    situations are described here, but the general approach applies to any
    firewall active on a NETGEAR LAN.

    The Windows firewall may be turned on without you knowing, for example, if
    the XP Network Setup Wizard was used.

    To Disable Windows' Firewall

    See Microsoft knowledgebase article: How to: Enable or Disable Internet
    Connection Firewall In Windows XP. (Note that you must be logged on as
    administrator, if you are not, no "Advanced" tab will appear as described.)
    For hints about using these Windows features, search firewall in Windows
    help, and select the article Enable or Disable Internet Connection
    Firewalls.

    ************************

    Would others here support the disablement of my Windows XP (Home SP3)
    Firewall as I'm using a Netgear DG834Gv3 router and my connection drops
    quite frequently? TIA

    ~BD~, Mar 3, 2009

  2. ~BD~

    Martin Guest

    Well I wouldn't, never had any issues with a firewall appliance
    interfering with a software firewall.

    What connection drops? Connection between router and ISP? Connection
    between wireless computer and router? Connection between cable computer
    and router? Conection from computer to internet even though
    computer-router and router-ISP is working fine?

    Martin, Mar 4, 2009

  3. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    Thanks for responding, Martin.

    I'm sorry for not being specific. It is the wireless connection between my
    desktop PC and my router which keeps dropping. If the connection fails I
    then have to unplug my wireless adapter (Netgear WG111T 108 Mbps Wireless
    USB 2.0 Adapter) from its USB socket, wait for a moment or two and then plug
    it in again.

    Someone once suggested setting the router aerial to an angle of 45 degrees
    from the vertical to improve the connection. I was sceptical ........ but
    discovered that the connection *did* improve by doing this!

    ~BD~, Mar 4, 2009
  4. Does your connection drop if you use a cable between this desktop PC and
    the router?

    Aside: what is the reason for using your desktop PC as wireless? Are
    your Netgear router and the PC not close by? IME, one does not normally
    carry a desktop PC around the house.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 4, 2009
  5. ~BD~

    Ari® Guest

    lol

    Kidz.

    Ari®, Mar 5, 2009
  6. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    Hello bts - In line replies

    I don't think so, but it has been a long time since I tried (using a very
    long telephone extention cable)

    Not really difficult! I live in an old, brick-built, cottage - circa 1850.
    My router is located close to the telephone point, two rooms distant from my
    study where I spend my time on my computer. Because it was not easy to run
    an extention telephone cable between the telephone point and my study (so
    that I could effect an ethernet cable connection between my PC and the
    router) I decided to adopt connection wirelessly.

    My wife also connects with her laptop, also wirelessly, often (but not
    always) from an upstairs bedroom so it is very convenient not to have cables
    running around the property!
    What do *you* drive bts?

    If an Apple Mac - what programme do you use for newsgroups?

    ~BD~, Mar 5, 2009
  7. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    Good morning Tim!

    Thanks for your response. Funnily enough, when I reset my router recently,
    the operative from AOL asked me to switch from Channel 11 to Channel 1 -
    which I did - and then supplied *me* with a new username and password which
    he said I should not change! I don't really like that, but I've left it for
    now.

    I'd reset the router to factory condition and once I had done so just could
    not get connected to the internet again without help from AOL. This is an
    area where I must develop new skills but, once up and running and there's no
    need to change things, one tends to forget exactly what one did "last time"!

    I do understand your comments regarding security with wireless connections.
    My son has confirmed that in the RAF, and when working with the USAF, *no*
    wireless connections were permitted to military equipment.

    Btw - I took the plunge yesterday and bought an iMac (whilst my wife was in
    the hairdressers!). It connected up like a dream and I was on-line within
    minutes of plugging it in! All I've got to do now is learn how to use it!
    Any help welcomed!

    Have a good day!

    ~BD~, Mar 5, 2009
  8. ~BD~

    Martin Guest

    In the nicest possible way can I suggest you stop faffing.

    Sort out one thing at time. If the connection isn't working then try a
    cable, if the internet connection is working don't phone AOL - their
    technical ability is probably lower than yours and you'll be changing
    too many things to isolate the real issue. So get yourself a long
    network cable (note: not telephone cable) and try a hard-wired
    connection between your router and PC. Make sure that connection is
    solid before trying anything else.

    Assuming the cabled connection is solid, and your internet connection is
    solid then we can start to tidy up the house again (I know you'll be
    getting flak from the misses for having a cable running round the
    house). So, once you know the router is working with cable and your ISP
    is working with the router we can start to look at the wireless side.

    Ignore the bit about running a software firewall with your router
    firewall, the two do totally different jobs and you need both. Just
    don't try to run more than one s/w firewall. However turn the s/w one
    off for testing if you wish.

    If you're in a stone built cottage with thick walls you might be in
    trouble if you're two rooms away. One of my clients was in an old
    building like that and we couldn't go drilling holes through walls to
    feed conduits so went with wireless, it was a nightmare getting it to
    work - and we did have to run one cable around the building.

    What's your signal strength and bit-rates on your wireless card in the
    PC? How many bars on the signal strength meter - might be in the tray
    next to the little clock on the bottom-right-hand of the screen.

    Martin, Mar 5, 2009
  9. Thanks, but you don't need to mention that.
    Telephone extension cable? I would think you would be using a CAT 5 or 6
    Ethernet network cable, right? This is DSL ... and in my experience
    would use CAT5/6 between computer and modem the same as my RoadRunner
    cable modem.
    I have experience with that, having lived many years in an 1823
    cobblestone farmhouse until last year.
    Ah. Here you say Ethernet cable. Using the term 'telephone extension'
    above was misleading. Anyway, I ran my Ethernet cable from my office
    down into the crawlspace, to outside, to tucked in under the bottom row
    of cobbles, back into the crawlspace at the other end of the house and
    up through the floor where the cable modem was located. It was about 150
    feet long.
    That part is understood.
    Ubuntu Linux, version 8.04.
    Nope, never owned either an Apple or a Mac. I use (my only Windows
    program) 40tude Dialog running in Wine. I also have set up Pan, XPN,
    Thunderbird, and Opera for news.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 5, 2009
  10. I never even bothered to try wireless in my cobblestone house (mentioned
    in another post just now). I did the same, going outside with the cable.
    My walls were eighteen inches thick.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 5, 2009
  11. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    You may ....... and you did! :)

    The Ethernet cable I have is only about one metre long. I've either used
    a long telephone extension cable to bring the router close to my PC and
    then connected the router to my PC with the Ethernet cable OR taken our
    laptop to be close to the usual location of the router and connected the
    laptop to the router with the Ethernet cable.

    When done, today, the connection is "solid".

    My new iMac has remained connected, wirelessly, all day with no dropping
    of the wireless connection. Our laptop is also connected wirelessly
    with no dropping off! :)))

    So, it may well be that the "problem" has been with my PC, which - for
    the time being - has been withdrawn from service!

    Noted - thank you.

    I'm just a user - trying to learn as much as I can - so as to avoid
    having to employ a professional like you! ;)

    I can only refer to the laptop at the moment where the signal strength
    is 61% (4 bars) at 54 Mbps

    HTH

    I think it probably best to see how things pan out using the Mac before
    considering making some provision for hard wiring at considerable expense!

    Thanks for your helpful comments though, Martin. Much appreciated.

    ~BD~, Mar 5, 2009
  12. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    I agree - but I suppose they have lots of experience with
    less-than-sophisticated customers who don't take much interest in the
    technicalities.

    The UK company is now owned by Carphone Warehouse - maybe they will
    maintain profitability by the charges for the cost of calls to their
    'help' line!

    My computers connect wirelessly to the router. The router has a cable
    connection to my BT telephone socket. Nothing else is available down
    here in this part of Devon!

    HTH

    ~BD~, Mar 5, 2009
  13. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    Thanks for you comments, Bts :)

    I've had a dabble with Ubuntu but felt it was going to be a steep
    learning curve. I have the set-up CD - maybe I'll try again after I've
    got to grips with this iMac! (so far, it's magical!)

    ~BD~, Mar 7, 2009
  15. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    I agree - but I suppose they have lots of experience with
    less-than-sophisticated customers who don't take much interest in the
    technicalities.

    The UK company is now owned by Carphone Warehouse - maybe they will
    maintain profitability by virtue of the charges for the cost of calls to

    ~BD~, Mar 7, 2009
  19. You're welcome, but *please* remove these stuck messages from your Out-
    or Send box! You've now sent four copies of this one, in a 27-hour
    period.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 8, 2009
  20. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    I sincerely apologise (to all!)

    Whilst I recognised that Ubuntu was going to be a steep learning curve,
    I've ended up using Thunderbird on my new iMac for posting to this
    newsgroup. It *is* somewhat different to using Outlook Express - the
    programme I've been used to!

    I hope that I've succeeded in removing the excess messages.

    Enjoy your day! :)

    ~BD~, Mar 8, 2009